Figuring Out College When You're A Freshman

Figuring Out College When You're A Freshman...

A story of struggles and finding community, some tips for freshman.

132
studying
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/college?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

I was a senior in high school in southern California, not the most amazing high school but it got me some kind of education. It was only weeks until I graduated and was officially going to be an undergrad in a 4-year university. The season came when it was time for the big move-in day all the way in Idaho. I came to campus and the Engineering and Innovation Living Learning program and it made all the difference.

During freshman year I suffered from cases of homesickness and whether depression trying to find my place in the whole new world of college. But with the Living Learning Community which is pretty unique to the campus helped me a significant amount and I was able to explore a whole new side of the campus. Getting Involved.

The thing I attribute my success and happiness on the campus is going out and getting involved. I was involved very heavily in the Living Learning Community, I showed up to every event and was very open to meeting new people sharing the amazing new experiences with me. Joining several clubs and organizations on the campus and going to big events that are held on campus helped me expand my circle and find value in the things I was doing.

Finding the things you actually enjoy on campus and finding people/community is a huge thing. Also not limiting yourself to only finding students to be connected to but connecting with your advisor, professor, different faculty on campus is huge! Many of these people are here to support you and being better connected to those individuals offers new experiences and opportunities. The thing that helps students the most especially as a freshman is not being afraid of asking for help when you need it, especially when you are really struggling through the transition into college from high school. Exploring campus resources made my experience freshman year so much better than it would've been without them. I encourage you to go out and explore these different things around your campus, you might find something you want to do for the rest of your life.