Happiness Is Homemade: Turn A Sour Time Sweet

Never fully dressed without a smile.

584
Olivia DeLucia

"Self-care" reminders serve all over everyone’s Instagram story, posted on their twitter, and is written about on blogs everywhere.

However, “self-care” exceeds past bubble baths, wine and bath bombs.

Maybe, you’re like me and personally don’t find “self-care” a word that is necessary your cup of tea. However, I do believe that happiness is homemade.

What does this mean?

You can’t control everything that life throws at you. Death in a family, an unexpected breakup, a friendship falling out – are all little pieces of crap we step in on our walk through life. However, what we can control is how we clean up the mess.

Taking care of ourselves (yeah, I know another way to say “self-care”) is imperative to not just our well-being, but our outlook on life. Here are some ways to practice doing you, making yourself smile, and feeling a little bit better on days when life gets rough because we all know someday the bubble bath just won’t cut it:

1. Dance Like She Do It In the Mirror

Sounds silly, I know, but hooking up in the Beats, putting on your comfy PJs, and dancing around your bedroom at night, for your own personal party of one, is good for the soul.

Listen to that music that nobody listens to anymore.

Jam out to Metro Station, All Time Low, The Jonas Brothers, or whatever guilty pleasures you have stored on your Spotify. Spin around your room and jam out, and your heart will feel lighter in minutes, I promise.

2. Sip Something Good

Add some vodka and mix it in yo lemonade.

Totally not saying drink your feelings away, but make your favorite drink, sit on the porch and have some time to yourself. Try one of those Tasty video drinks that you have always wanted to try (Strawberry Lemonade Moscota Slushie? #yum).

Watch the sunset, sip on some sangria and you’ll be thinking about how good you have it in this world.

3. Write Your Thoughts Down

Journaling is cheaper than therapy.

I’m not suggesting you handwrite every thought and detail of your day and thoughts on everyone in your life, (we all know that can end badly…Harriet the Spy? Yikes) but maybe look up a journaling challenge to get you started.

I personally have a poetry journal, a gratitude journal and just a songwriting journal.

A little overboard?

Maybe.

But take it from me, gathering your thoughts, writing it out, pushing it aside and taking a breath really does wonders.

4. Take a Drive With Some '90s Hip-Hop

Plug in the aux and click away at a '90s hip-hop playlist.

Something about driving around listening to Naughty by Nature really makes you feel like you can handle your sh*t.

Take a route that you're familiar with, drive by the beach, pass along the back roads and jam to some '90s babies oldies.

5. Be a Sunset Lover

Go by yourself, bring your favorite blanket and watch the sunset.

Not only is this nature’s free entertainment, but after you watch the beautiful sun go down to sleep, you will feel like tomorrow will be better, no matter how today was.

When the sunsets, I try to think, what did I do good today and what would I like to do better tomorrow?

Take time to reflect and watch nature’s beautiful creation, whether it be from your porch, a beach or on an evening stroll.

6. Pinterest Worthy Your Life Together

Spend an evening lighting your favorite candle, and organizing your Pinterest boards.

Put on some tunes, explore what you pinned in high school (you don’t even want to know) and discover some new hobbies, crafts or food you can attempt to recreate.

Putting together a “dream wedding” board or “perfect vacation”?

Now that’s what I call a proactive way to make yourself feel better.

7. Run, Forest, Run!

You know what you never regret?

A run.

Even if you almost die after because you find out you have anaphylactic reactions when you eat tomatoes and workout right after (fun times, not speaking from experience at all). But all jokes aside, running clears the mind and makes you feel happy and healthier right after.

8. Quality Time With Quality People

Call that friend that you may not get to see often, but makes you smile, no matter the distance.

Grab coffee with that gal pal that keeps you laughing.

Don’t associate with people that drain your energy. Spend some time with the people that make you feel like life is full of wonderful people and restore your hope in humanity.

9. Put It On Airplane Mode, So None Of Those Calls Come Through

Seriously, Cardi B don’t lie.

If you’re feeling like you are spending too much time on Instagram, looking at FB memes, or you’re sick of your group chat there is no judgment for turning the phone on do not disturb.

If you’re out with your friend or having a movie night, turn the phone off and spend time being present. Snapchat streaks aren’t more important than actual time spent with friends.

10. Take Up Underwater Basket-weaving

Or whatever else interests you. Learn how to make Stain Glass, paint a really bad picture, learn the Uke, or knit your grandma a scarf. Take some time to develop new interests, passions and even if you suck have fun doing it. Having interests and passions outside of drinking and working is imperative for your health and sanity.

* * *

It is challenging to make time for yourself. However, the little things can count.

Spend time making yourself feel better, whatever works for you.

Take time to be thankful for what you have — not what you are striving for, what you wish you had or think about the pursuit of happiness — instead focus on your own happiness, which is simple, by doing what makes you feel good on the inside.