How To Make It Through Lab This Week

How To Make It Through Lab This Week

An experimentally tested and proven survival plan.

17
How To Make It Through Lab This Week
news.wisc.edu

Here we go. Another lab period. The most dreaded part of the week. There is no doubt that you are going to need a survival plan if you are going to make it through lab without descending into a pile of STEM mush - or at least not as mushy. So here it is - your experimentally tested and proven lab survival plan. Just one question...

1. Prepare, Prepare, Prepare

Professors say it all the time, "Do not wait until the night before to do this". Everyone loves to procrastinate, but if you want to be truly successful in lab - don't. Complete your pre-lab assignment at least two days before. Then on the day of lab skim over the procedure beforehand. Trust in Dory and just keep studying!

2. Get Your Other Coursework Done

After you finish lab, there is no way you are going to want to sit down at your desk and do more homework. Chances are you will sit down and either start checking social media or you will fall asleep. In sight of that, try and get everything that you need to have done for the day done before you even go to lab. And if you don't trust me on this one, trust Cinderella - she knows all about deadlines.

3. Plan something exciting to do afterwards

To get yourself up and motivated, have something fun to do after lab. It will keep you energized while you are working. It could be as simple as grabbing coffee with your lab partner or setting aside time to binge watch Friends. Rachel is so excited she's even cheering for you.

4. Make it fun!

Getting in the right mindset for lab is the most important thing you can do to prepare. If you go in thinking it will be a drag, it probably will be. So take the extra step to have a positive mindset and conquer the day. Do something a little special that will make you smile. Wear those super nerdy planet socks you have tucked away in your drawer or maybe that science shirt you got last Christmas that you still haven't worn. If you really need to, pull out your inner Burt Macklin and pretend the experiment is some type of case you need to solve.

5. Slow down and pay attention.

The absolute worst thing that can happen in lab is having to start over. If you try rush through so you can leave as soon as possible, you are more likely to make a mistake so you have to start over, and in turn stay even later than most of your classmates. It is worth it to slow down and be certain of everything you do. Taking the extra time will make you feel like Mindy Kaling.

Ok - so there it is. Your lab survival plan. Follow these steps and you will conquer lab. You are Leslie Knope. You are ready.