How To Have An Epic 13 Nights Of Halloween

Your night by night guide to maximizing Halloween 2016.

431
Timeout

October is almost everyone’s favorite month. Is it because the weather starts to change and the leaves turn into beautiful colors? Or tons of Halloween decorations and candy are at your disposal? Or the holiday season has begun with Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner? Or you have an excuse to watch all of the cheesy low budget Disney Channel original Halloween movies without being judged? Well, for me it is basically all of those combined. I love October and I especially love when the 13 Nights of Halloween Countdown begins on ABC Family or as it is now known as FreeForm. Instead of just naming 13 movies you could watch for your Halloween Countdown, I also want to give you 13 T.V. shows, books, and other goodies to binge on for your 2016 Halloween festivities.

Let the madness begin!

Day 1: Hocus Pocus and The Craft

These movies need no explanation. If you were even conscious during the mid-90s to late 00s you have seen these movies, multiple times. And you wanted to be a witch, like a cool all-black clothes all day witch. Don’t lie.

Day 2: Puppet Master

This series is one of the first I picked when I started reading comics a year ago. I already have a list of comics that are pretty scary, but this one is downright horrific. Gruesome murders by scary puppets is the stuff of nightmares. You can read Puppet Master online.

Day 3: American Horror Story

You are not going to see any horror movies on this list because I am a scaredy cat. AHS is the scariest I will go and only because it is really creepy with amazing acting. You won’t have time to binge all of it, but definitely check out seasons one and three if you can get a chance. (They are the best in my opinion.)

Day 4: Anything by Stephen King

Stephen King was my first step into the land of horror and gore when I was in middle school. This is more of a month long project than a day project. Like an investment. Carrie and ’Salem’s Lot are my favorites.

Day 5: Halloween Brownie Cupcakes

Please make these… And send some to me, please and thank you.

Day 6: Beetlejuice and TheNightmare Before Christmas

Beetlejuice is a classic Halloween movie that I have seen so many times. But I have to be honest, I have never seen The Nightmare Before Christmas. Don’t hate me! I will remedy this travesty this Halloween: I promise.

Day 7: Halloween Nail Art

I am not the most talented artist in the world, so nail art is a marvel to behold. If you have a little time on your hands half-way through this year’s Halloween celebrations, go to Pinterest and DIY some awesome nail art. If its crappy, then you can say it was a creepy/scary version of what you were supposed to do.

Day 8: Local Corn Maze

Like I said earlier, scary is not my cup of tea. Mildly creepy and disturbing are usually the most I can handle, but if you like being physically scared go to a local corn maze. They are basically haunted house tours but with corn… I guess. If you live in the Shreveport area, you have probably heard of DixieMaze Farms. I may check it out this year.

Day 9: Lore podcast

I discovered this podcast about a year ago when iTunes featured it on its "Top Podcasts" page. The narrator has a wonderfully calming voice while he gives you are story-like horror history lesson. The episodes are pretty short and on a vast array of topics. You can also check out Aaron Mahnke’s books and podcast footnotes on the website.

Day 10: The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

I am obsessed with witches and the lore behind the Salem witch trials in the 1600s. So, when Stacey Schiff released this very thorough account of witches in Salem and the hysteria that surrounded the ordeal, I was entranced. You can buy this psychologically thrilling tale of the Salem witches at your local book store or online.

Day 11: Haunted House Tour

Again, I hate being scared. I am a scaredy cat to my core. So even though I am recommending you do this for one of your nights of Halloween does not mean I am touching it with a ten-foot pole. A dark, closed in space with people reaching out to touch and scare you? Hell no. If you live in Louisiana I found a list of the scariest haunted houses in Louisiana. If you keep going through the website, you can probably a list for your own state.

Day 12: Halloween Baking Treat

Again... Please send any extra pieces of this adorable cake you may have to me.

Day 13: Trick or Treating, Duh!

You are never too old to go trick-or-treating! Get a costume together, grab a group of friends and go get that candy, homeslice!

I hope everyone has an awesome 13 Nights of Halloween. Please be safe with all of these tricks and treat yo'self!