How to find an Apartment in London

How to find an Apartment in London

Find flats to rent in London

34
How to find an Apartment in London

If you decide to relocate to London One among the most important things you'll have to do is locate a suitable accommodation. Many expats opt to rent a flat in london UK (more generally referred to an apartment located in England).

There are many advantages to renting a home over buying a house Your monthly payment should be less expensive; expenses such as gas, electricity television as well as Council Tax may be included maintenance is taken care of for you by the agent or landlord and you're not bound to one location should you discover jobs or opportunities to study elsewhere.

Naturally, if you would rather buy a home and can obtain a mortgage as well as pay an installment, you must consider that option, however, this article is targeted at expats who are looking for an apartment or a flat, to lease in London.

Finding an Apartment/Flat in London

There are a lot of flats to pick from, so your first step is to narrow your options of search by deciding on the factors which are the most relevant to your needs. If you're likely to be on the road or studying for a large amount of your time, you don't wish to lease something that's too big. While you'll be paying more for it but there will also be more tidying and organizing to do on your off time. It's also wise to look into renting a home at the second or higher, since an unoccupied ground floor apartment could be less safe.

It is also important to decide if you'll be sharing. This could reduce your expenses, however, you'll likely be jointly and jointly accountable for your charges and rent, which means you'll need to settle with your flatmates if they prove to be undependable. Other aspects that could be important to you include having a yard; laundry and drying facilities, and whether the apartment can be furnished, or not furnished.

After you've narrowed your choices, it's now time to begin seeking out suitable properties. There are many ways to do this:

• Word of mouth. Do you know anyone seeking to rent a room in London? Inform your London acquaintances about your plans, and keep an eye on the ground
  • Find online using an expert property-finding website such as rent london flat and sign up for emails with alerts
  • Purchase a local newspaper with a section on property. You should try to obtain a copy at the time it goes out since flats are usually sold quickly.
  • Visit an estate agent. A list of estate agents is available via the National Association of Estate Agents website..
  • If you're studying, ask about the Office of Student Accommodation office

Letting Agents and Landlords

Expats who want to rent an apartment or flat in London typically have two options to rent it privately with the landlady or landlord, or use a letting company. Agents may handle only the initial administration of the tenancy agreement as well as deposit, or they could be your main contact throughout the duration of your.

The process of dealing with a landlord or landlady can be riskier because they are not regulated and are not bound to the provisions of the tenancy contract, even though there are definitely good landladies and landlords available.

An agent is monitored through The Association of Residential Letting Agents and directories are available that are available on the ARLA website as well as the the National Accredited Lettings Scheme.

Viewing the Property

After you've found one that you like the design of and meets your needs to a minimum it is best to arrange an appointment to see the property with the owner or agent, or estate agents. This is your chance to examine each aspect of the property and ask any questions you might have.

Checks should contain:

• Water and heating. How does the heating system operate (your landlord or landlady is legally required to give you instructions) Does it work? (check both radiators and hot water because they're typically with different systems. Are windows double-glazed? are the walls properly insulated?
  • Gas security. Boilers are typically powered by gas that can be hazardous because of toxic carbon monoxide emissions as well as leaks, which could explode in extreme situations. Landlords must be able to show you a valid P12 Safety Certificate for Gas. Safety Certificate.
  • Electricity. Are there modern fuse box? Is it easy to shut off the mains power or isolate circuits? How many sockets do you have?
  • What appliances and furniture are on the property? Do they have any instructions and do they comply with fire safety standards (check the labels on soft furnishings)?
  • Do you have a garden? is parking on and off of the road?
  • How much storage space is there?
  • Are the premises including walls roofing, roof, guttering floors, ceilings and doors well-maintained and clean?

It is recommended that you visit the house at different times throughout the day to determine the volume of traffic, the quantity of people who walk by, and the routines of potential neighbors. If you have tenants who are no longer there Ask them about the agent or landlord. Are they well-treated? Are they intrusive enough?

Before signing any documents make sure you know if there any planned changes (e.g. new roads or houses) that could impact your living situation.

Rent, Bills and Charges

When you move in within the house, you will be accountable for rent that typically is due per calendar month, however it is occasionally scheduled on a quarterly or weekly basis. Additionally, you will have to be required to pay a deposit, which can be refunded after the tenure ends, less any deductions due to damage that is beyond normal wear and wear and tear. It must be placed in the form of a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme.

The cost of bills is sometimes included in the rent However, they usually are not. If they are not, you'll have the payment of Council Tax through your local authority (there is a directory available on the government's website) and also as utility bills (gas water, electric and water) as well as TV, phone and Internet (if required). A TV licence is mandatory in London and across the UK in the event that you don't ever watch live television (even using a computer or games console, or cell phone).

It is possible that you'll be required to pay for communal cleaning costs It is recommended to take out contents insurance to protect your possessions (although it is the landlord's duty to ensure the building.

Your Rights and Responsibilities

Although a tenancy agreement may be written, this kind of agreement is generally not recommended particularly for expats, who are more likely to be profited from because of their lack of knowledge about UK laws.

The most commonly used form of the tenancy agreement for London can be described as the Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) which typically provides tenants with a six to 12 month fixed term of occupation prior to becoming periodic. However, an AST could be periodic from the beginning. The landlord is not allowed to take possession of the property during the time period fixed (except when you violate any of the conditions in the contract) and must provide you with a two-month notice when the fixed period is up. As a result, you're not allowed to move out within the specified time and you will be charged the full amount if you leave. In the event that you wish to leave, you may leave with a month's notice.

Your obligations to your landlord/landlady are usually common-sense. For example:

• Making rent payments punctually (setting up an automatic payment, called the Standing Order is great idea)
  • Invoicing on time
  • Avoiding illegal and unsocial conduct (making loud noises, etc.)
  • Respecting your property and surrounding (looking at furniture and disposing trash appropriately, and taking care of pets after they have been removed)
  • Telling your landlord/landlady/agent promptly when maintenance is required

Also, you are not permitted to operate a business from your home or alter the layout or decorate it, or take longer than 14 days without authorization.

Your landlord/landlady has other responsibilities towards you, which include:

• Maintaining the home (not such as changing bulbs or batteries)
  • You will be given two months' notice to stop repossessing your property.
  • You should be given ample notice prior to making a visit (and not going to too many places)
  • We will provide you with keys if they cause you to change the locks
  • Informing them of their name and address
  • Placing your deposit in a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

Moving in Day

Moving into your new residence is an exciting moment but it can also be stressful. To ease the process of moving you must plan ahead by having your the post routed at your address of choice, update your contact information with your utility and bank companies (if relevant) and packing your belongings as efficiently as you can yourself. Choose a licensed removals company to ensure your possessions are taken care of.