How To Discuss Politics With Your Partner

11 Tips For Productively Discussing Politics With Your S.O.

I get it, it's not easy.

16455
Maxim Lugovnin on Unsplash

OK, I know what you're thinking: Talking politics is never easy, and to be honest, it can be super uncomfortable. It's so important, though, to have these conversations because you never know where your significant other stands on various issues unless you pursue those conversations.

Never fear, though! I'm here to walk you through the important details of having these conversations. You'll be a pro by the end of this!

1. Have the conversation early

OK, I know this may be counterintuitive to everything you ever learned growing up, but trust me, nothing is worse than getting months and even years into a relationship not knowing that you disagree on something that may be a deal breaker for one of you!

2. Actually listen

When you're having these conversations, don't listen to respond... listen to hear. Even if you disagree, you need to listen so that the conversation remains civil and doesn't get heated.

3. Don't turn it into an argument

Remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Make sure this doesn't turn into an argument, keep it civil, folks.

4. Know your dealbreakers

I get it, when you're in love or really care about someone, you'll want to make compromises. Compromising is one thing, but don't lose who you are in the process. That's never OK. If you're losing who you are in the process of talking politics, he's not the one, sis!

5. Agree to disagree on the "little things"

Don't let the relationship tank over issues that you can live with long-term. Meaning, if your SO's views on a certain issue differ from yours but don't impact your day to day relationship in a negative way, let it go! No one will ever agree with you perfectly 100 percent of the time!

6. Don't resort to name-calling

If the conversation does get heated, don't resort to name calling or using other derogatory terms you'll regret later.

7. Walking away is OK

If you need to walk away, that's OK! Take a few minutes to gather yourself before going back to the conversation.

8. Showing your emotions is OK

If it hurts you that your SO doesn't find an issue to be important that is important to you or totally differs from you on something, it's OK to show emotion, especially if you really love them and it's a deal breaker!

9. Talk about all of the issues

Don't just assume because you identify as a part of the same political party that you are good to go. Not all Republicans think the same, and not all Democrats think the same. And, of course, there is everyone in between too... as well as third-party identifiers!

10. Think about the future

When talking about politics, think about the future too. If you differ too much on your political views, it may impact the way you wish to raise a family or live your adult life. That could cause so much conflict down the road.

11. Be open

With all of that being said, be open. Just because you don't see eye to eye, doesn't mean you can't be in a completely healthy and happy relationship! Don't lose yourself, but hey, opposites attract, right?

Follow Swoon on Instagram.