Worrying

Worrying

To a lifetime of uncertainty.

19
Worrying

What is my purpose? Why am I here? Why am I always stressing? Why is life so hard? Who will I become? Now, you might completely relate to any or even all of these above questions. See, if you are like me these questions constantly rule your mind. I mean RULE your mind. You are constantly worried, stressed and fearful. But I want you to know that you are not alone. See, this is the thing about the human mind: the human mind fears uncertainty. I am prone to it like anybody else. It is the uncertainty in life that I fear. You and I have heard it again and again, "just relax, everything will be ok."

If you are like me, you probably used to shake your head when someone said "just relax." They just DON'T get it. I am someone who cannot turn off their racing mind and thoughts. I am constantly in
"fast-forward" mood. Instead of living in the present, I am constantly wondering about the future. It has been a constant learning process, but slowly and surely I have learned to ground myself. So, if you are someone who is also trapped in a mind that is in constant motion, I would like to tell you it is in grounding myself that I find myself.

Whether you are religious or not, I want to share with you a bible verse that has truth for both believers and non-believers: "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matthew 6:27). I know what you are probably thinking this is SO MUCH easier said than done. Believe me, I get it. But, I want you to think about the last thing you worried about. Got it? Good. Now, look back at the circumstance, I bet you everything ended up being ok. See, thats the beautiful thing of the human mind: as fear sets in, dopamine, which is the neurotransmitter responsible for the reward pathway, begins to light up. As fear sets in, dopamine lights up and then a start of peace and solitude sets in. So I ask you, why are you worrying. More often than not, everything turns out to be ok.

Now, I talk the big talk. But I am a constant worrier. I worry about my friends, family and career. I worry about people's perceptions on me. I worry about whether I will live a successful life. But sometimes, I have to remind myself that I need to ground myself. I look to this bible verse. Worrying surely does nothing. Worrying will not do anything, but distress you further. So why worry and why not DO something about that worry.

See even though I worry, I am aware that I worry. Do you ever think maybe you worry because you are cognizant to how beautiful life is. Each day has a worry of it's own. Each tomorrow has a struggle of it's own. Life would not be beautiful without each day's worries. So I ask you how will you ground yourself when you begin to worry?

Whether you believe in God or not, I want you to think of this bible verse because truly, you cannot add a single hour to your life by worrying. Instead of worrying, start doing. Everybody has a purpose. Each worry only hinders you from fulfilling your purpose. See, I have no idea what my purpose is and I can attribute my worry to this uncertainty. But it is in this uncertainty that I find life to truly be worthwhile. You are not alone. Life is beautiful. We are too young to be this worried. Do not fear, everything will fall into place. This is to a lifetime of uncertainty.