How To Be Friends With Squirrels

How To Be Friends With Squirrels

A comprehensive, step-by-step guide

1543
How To Be Friends With Squirrels

I love squirrels. They are some of the cutest critters ever to exist. The only thing is, they are extremely timid and easily frightened. If you also want to be friends with every squirrel in the world, I am here to help.

Learn What Your Local Squirrels Like to Eat

A good way to show a squirrel that you come in peace is to offer them food. Of course, make sure you only give them food that is healthy for them. One day, as I was walking around campus with my bag of mini pretzels, I inevitably saw some squirrels bounding about nearby. I snuck up real close, holding the pretzel out as a peace offering. When the time was right, I tossed the mini pretzel so it landed in the squirrel's field of vision, and the little guy picked it up, inspected it, and scurried up a tree! He liked it! When I tried this same thing with the local bunnies, they didn't even divert their eyes towards the pretzel.

Dress up like a squirrel

I haven't tried this, but it seems to be a promising method to achieve the trust of the squirrels. It's worth a shot if it means getting cuddly with these adorable rodents.

Create a squirrel friendly environment

Make your neighborhood squirrels feel like they are living at a resort and they are sure to stick around! I visited a yard sale one day, and the yard had a gorgeous garden, filled with all kinds of nature. There was a friendly squirrel walking around, and the owner of the yard sale said that the squirrel was his! He then proceeded to hand the squirrel a peanut. Also, you can add peanuts to the list of foods squirrels like to eat.

Read stories to the squirrels

Anyone can be drawn in with a good, enthralling story. Make sure to talk softly though, as the squirrels get scared if you yell at them. I may or may not know this from experience.

Summon squirrels

Summon them to be your friend. The only way to do this is by dancing around the sacred oak tree while making squirrel squeaks and clicks. The map to the sacred oak tree is located in the grave of Bob Ross, a world renowned squirrel whisperer.

My goal is to someday have a squirrel ride on my shoulder everywhere I go. Best of luck in your rodent endeavors.