3 Ways To Take Time For Yourself

3 Ways To Take Time For Yourself

It isn't easy, but it is worth it. You're worth it.

204
3 Ways To Take Time For Yourself
Flickr

Spring break allows time for relaxation and self-reflection that isn't readily available during the hectic school semester. It is a time to find new activities and enjoy old ones to rejuvenate the body and mind. However, now that the second half of the semester is starting back up- it's time that you find space to do the things that you enjoy to alleviate stress during the semester.

Because of the chaos that school brings into your life, it is essential to find moments to spend time with yourself. Taking time for yourself during breaks and during the semester is important for your well-being and to ensure a successful academic year.

1. Prioritizing

In college and in life, it is easy to find yourself overwhelmed with clubs, activities, and friends pulling you in different directions and dwindling the time that you have to accomplish everything. In the beginning, it can be almost impossible to say no to all of the opportunities beckoning to you, but for your sanity, you need to prioritize to avoid overextending yourself.

You need to remind yourself that in order to live a healthy life, you need to leave time for yourself which may mean ditching that one club that you really didn't want to be in any way.

2. Saying no

When you're meeting new people and attending new events, overextending yourself pairs with the inability to say "no." Saying no is a difficult skill because it can come with feelings of guilt, but knowing that you are saying no in order to improve the quality of time you are spending with people and on your activities is worthwhile. By saying no when you need to, you will be able to have more time to focus on taking care of your mental and emotional health while spending quality time with friends in a good state of mind.

3. Finding activities that you love

After you have cleared your schedule to make time for yourself and improve the quality of time that you are spending with others, it is important to fill your new vacant time with fulfilling activities. Relaxing activities such as meditation and yoga are great for clearing your head and de-stressing.

For some people, more vigorous exercise is the better option and can lift a bad day and instantly add a boost of energy. It can be as simple as listening to music or reading a book, but whatever you choose, make it a priority to find a space dedicated to you-time with an activity that lifts your mood.

Finding out what works for you is half of the battle. Working out a manageable school and life schedule along with finding time to clear your head may not happen on the first try, but will refturn a noticeable payoff in terms of mood and performance.