How To Not Fail At Life: A Guide That Doesn't Exist

If only there was a step-by-step guide that prevented us from failing, am I right?

131

Well, you can’t. Shocker. Ready for the second wave of shock? It’s probably a good thing people fail every once in a while. No, I am not some emo person. Although, it is finals week so maybe I am subconsciously sad. Regardless, as much as we may hate failure, it is necessary. Why? Uh, that’s a very good question.

Kidding.

Of course, I am going to answer why it’s a good thing people fail. Otherwise, what would be the point of writing this other than to just check “write article” off of my to-do list. Which, I must admit, is quite an incentive because there is nothing more satisfying than crossing something off of a list, signaling completion and not failure. Ha. See that? Now that is how you thread a metaphor through your writing.

OK, but in all seriousness, failure is something we need to experience in order to enact change.

If you are doing something, anything really, and you do not face any consequences, what is your assumption about your actions? That what you’re doing is right, right? If your actions cause no negative reaction, obviously all is decent in the world. So you keep doing this same thing you have been doing, just living, thinking you’re a great, successful person.

You don’t change anything, because why should you? There is no reason to. Changing yourself would be the most illogical course of action in this scenario. But imagine what would happen if no one and nothing ever changed? Not only would life be boring as hell, but the life you’re currently living wouldn’t exist.

Woah. That was pretty deep.

Imagine that. A life without a screen from which you are probably reading these words from. Who am I kidding, talking about the nonexistence of electronics, we wouldn’t even have light bulbs! Just like Edison said when he was trying to get the lightbulb to work, he didn’t fail, he just found a lot of ways that don’t work.

We are so afraid of failure, but why should we be? Cause of humiliation? Let them laugh. They won’t be laughing when you are the light that shines brighter than any other, illuminating the world. So how do you not fail at life? By failing.

Embrace failure because, without failure, there is no such thing as success.