How My Friends and I Formed a Viral Petition

Yes, we did make it to ESPN.

56

Many of you may have heard about the petition, going around all major sports networks, that was created by Eagles fans to have the Pope bless the knees of Sam Bradford. Well, what if I told you my friends and I created this petition?

It was just a normal day of work at Temple University. One of my co-workers, Pratik, decided it would be a good idea starting a petition. This petition was to have the Pope bless the knees of our always injured Eagles quarterback, Sam Bradford.

A little bit of a background for those who are questioning how this could be possible, the Pope will be visiting Philadelphia the weekend of Sept. 25-27, 2015.

So, originally as a joke, we created our petition. This petition started off slow at first. We made it on a Friday so we weren't expecting too much feedback. Then, out of no where, Barstool, a famous sports writing company, wrote an article on our petition. We suddenly had multiple people signing our petition. We hit 100 and were pretty satisfied because honestly, we were just expecting our work friends to sign.

Pratik, our co-worker Valerie, and myself then created a Twitter account for this petition. We started tweeting to multiple famous newscasters and sportscasters in the Philadelphia area. But there was not too much of a big break.

Monday rolled around and we came back to work. We returned from lunch and checked the petition and noticed that it had gone up 100 signatures in one hour. We were so confused, so we looked on Twitter and saw that CSN Philly had written an article on us. We sat there in shock, just absolute shock. From there, our signatures skyrocketed.

From here we knew what was going to happen next.

The next day was huge for us. ESPN suddenly jumped on and wrote about us. Then SportsCenter was on board. We sat in our small office just staring at these articles. From there, to say our signatures skyrocketed at this point would be an understatement. All of the sudden our signatures were increasing hundreds within minutes.

I then interviewed Pratik, the originator of this petition and a close friend of mine. His drive to support the Philadelphia Eagles is nothing short of inspiring. One specific quote of his that stood out to me was, " Philly loves a true underdog story. Bradford Pope is THAT story. Let's create change, let's create a winning culture and that all starts with the Pope blessing Sam Bradford's knees!"

I thought going viral was honestly impossible but we still tried and it sure did pay off. The support the petition got is amazing and I am honestly inspired by how much the Philadelphia community and Eagles fans across the country came together to hopefully make this upcoming season a good one.

Good thing we did not offend Sam Bradford in anyway. The quarterback is actually all for our petition and said he would be OK with that happening. Well Sam, I think the rest of Philadelphia would too.

How us three young adults started a viral petition that made its way onto SportsCenter in a matter of three days is beyond me. The power of the internet and social media is beyond me. The next step from here is to actually get this to happen.