How My Coming Out Should've Happened

I Didn't Get To Come Out The Way I Wanted To

Being open about your sexual orientation seems like a no brainer, but is it?

560
Seriana Moya

One of the most common articles I read is the "Open Letter to My Mom" articles and although this topic is widely talked about, everyone has their own perspectives. This is a different approach to the common article. For as long as I can remember, I have always had a liking towards both males and females. I just expressed my liking for males a lot more. I have only ever been in two serious relationships and they were both with males. This was because I have never actually fallen for a girl before... until recently.

Over the past few weeks, I have been talking to this girl from Bumble. Right away I noticed there was something about her, her eyes, her smile, everything. We started talking and I have gotten to know her more, but no one knew about her, except my friends in my group chat. I had this feeling of being afraid to tell anyone in my family, but I knew I needed to. I kept thinking, "What would the right time be?"

I have a pretty busy schedule, so trying to figure out the best way to do this was difficult for me. I personally never thought that I would have to go through this. I thought my feelings about my sexuality were always going to be kept to myself, due to the fact I have never talked to a girl before until now. The world works in its own ways though and things happen the way they are meant to be. In my case, the whole situation was bound to happen at one point or another.

bi flag

It wasn't until a couple of days ago that I had to come out, but not the way I had Imagined it. It was a Friday afternoon, I was headed into work and I felt a buzz in my pocket; it was a text from my mom asking why my text messages and minutes were so high for the month because she was paying the phone bill. That is when I knew I had to tell her. She knew it was out of the ordinary for me to have those numbers so high, especially when everyone has an iPhone. I then responded back that there was something I had to tell her when I got home. She insisted I tell her then, she called me asking what was going on. I then told her everything. It all came out, but at that moment, I felt that in the whole situation I was just forced to come out. It wasn't how I wanted it to happen.

I pictured I would be at home sitting down with my parents and telling them in person, face to face. Although I felt relieved it was all over, I just wish I could go back and get a redo. Granted, my parents were more than accepting and understanding, which is beyond more than what I could ask for because I know not all families are as accepting. The moral of my experience is to just be honest from the get-go, but do everything on your terms, no one else's.