How I Dealt With The Transfer To A Completely Different School

to anyone that needs help adjusting and feeling at home

15
Colette Maile

When I was entering my freshman year, I was eager and excited, but when I finally walked into the university, I decided that it was no longer the one for me. Desperately searching and looking up colleges that would fit what I was really looking for, I stumbled upon the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I remember being unsure if living too close to home or living the city life was the right thing for me, but I'm glad that I decided to send in that application. Having had the most perfect transfer experience, take these few tips to make your transfer greater than you could ever imagine!

1. Find the right roommate

Lucky me! I found the most perfect roommate that I could ask for. You don't want someone to be just like you, that can cause competition in the room and might cause some arguments. Just a few similarities are okay, but the more open you are with you roommates the more likely you are going to love it. Make sure you keep in touch with them. Talk to them on a weekly or daily basis to get to know them more, breaking the ice for when you two first meet on move-in day!

2. Don't be afraid to go out!

It's college — take a break from the books and hang out with some floormates or your roommates. Going out with your friends is a good way of finding what you and your friends are both comfortable with.

3. GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM!

This one cannot be stressed enough, even if it's just doing homework on your floor lobby, there's a chance someone will talk to you while you're sitting there, getting you to know more people and making more friends, getting more familiar with the people you're living with.

4. It's most likely not what you're used to

At the University I was at my freshman year, I felt more alone. I knew that this place wasn't for me, But entering University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, I expanded myself more, I went to club meetings, I sat and did my homework in a study area where many people go, I asked questions on where I was and what's fun to do over the weekend. I went out of my way to get myself out there and so should you!

5. Find your classes before classes start!

This is very handy when you don't want to come off as another freshman, even though you aren't. Take a day before classes start to walk around campus and figure out where everything is, that way you won't have to look lost and confused on where you're actually supposed to be going. You can get to class early before everyone else and find the perfect seat for each class.

6. Be open to new ideas

Join clubs that you haven't heard of before. Sign up with your school email and stay connected with many things the school has to offer. College is a time to find yourself and do what you like. Have fun with it and explore who the real you is!