To The Self-Sabotaging Hopeless Romantic, You're Not Alone

But I might suggest a therapist or two.

46

If you know me personally, pretend you don't for this article, because I'm about to expose myself.

I grew up watching The Princess Bride, While You Were Sleeping, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. In all these films, the person who you'd least expect gets to end up with the person that they are pining after. I truly believe that these films are what made me such a hopeless romantic- especially since they all have a happily ever after and will leave you warm and fuzzy on the inside after watching. I'm also blessed to have two parents who have a very sweet love story and I was fortunate enough to grow up listening to it and witness it all carry out. So, growing up, I always thought "Well, if it can happen in the movies and if my parents did it, so can I."

As it turns out, being a hopeless romantic isn't all you need for success and the guy won't magically end up with you (the underdog). I have also realized that every single time I have a good thing going with someone, I am usually the one who ruins it OR they say something extremely hurtful and I have to end it for my own sanity. I get in my head, become insecure, and refuse to be vulnerable with anyone. The qualities that help a relationship thrive are ones that I will simply do the opposite of because I am scared to get hurt...again. It's easier to keep telling guys that it's not going to work out than risking it all and falling on your face.

I know that I cannot be the only one who dreams of having a love story but doesn't know how to actually get one. Granted, there is something that I tell my roommate all of the time but struggle to actually apply in my own life: the risk is worth the reward. Either I will let myself be vulnerable and fall in love, or I will learn a lesson. Either one is a "reward" in the broad sense.

So, if you've read this all the way through and you realize that we're alike- please take the plunge. Protect your heart, but don't put up a cement wall around it to the point of isolation. Let yourself dream for what could be, and don't settle for anything less than you deserve. You are worthy of love and deserve all that is given to you.

Best,

The hopeless romantic who gets it.