Honesty Is My Best Policy, For Myself And For Others

They say honesty is the best policy.

31

I know that I said this before in a previous article, but I have to say it again: Everything that I have accomplished so far, I dedicate to my parents, Varno and Dawn Harris. Without them in my life, I wouldn't be where I am right now. None of my four other siblings would be where they are right now if it wasn't for them, and for that I am grateful.

The most important lesson that I have learned and go by in life is to be honest, not only to others but also to yourself. You see, my father Varno Harris taught me right from wrong and always told me honesty is the best policy. He told me it's like playing basketball. If you know that you can make the shot, then go for it. If you know you can't, then don't lie to yourself and say you can make it. Pass the ball so someone else can.

One time in intermediate school this moment happened to me. My parents have always said that I am a natural-born leader, and looking back I have shown the traits of one. I started playing tackle football in the sixth grade. My dad coached every athletic team I have been on (except high school teams). I remember one game distinctively out of every other game. I played defensive end. We were getting crushed on the right side of the line, and there was this one kid who was scared to make a tackle. Time after time we kept getting beat. I ran up to my dad and told him I could take over for the position. My dad asked me multiple times, "Are you sure you want to go in there?" Confidently, I replied yes. And sure enough, I stopped the kid multiple times and made the offense stop running the ball on my side.

At the time, I really didn't think what I did showed leadership, but as I got older I soon realized it did. This moment to me showed me being honest with myself. Not only did I believe that I could stop the runs, but also I didn't lie to myself and say that the kid could handle it.

I plan to apply this life lesson as I move forward in life as well. In college, if there is a certain subject or problem that I am struggling with, I won't lie to myself and say everything is OK. I'll find solutions to the problem and tackle them head-on. If I don't know how to do something at a job, I won't lie and say I know how to do it. I will ask and learn so I do know for next time.

The main lesson is that everybody's life should have honesty included in it. It plays a big role in everyday life and can greatly affect it. I know that it will certainly stick with me forever.