If you have a long distance bff, you'll totally understand.

To My Hometown 'Best Friend' That I Know Nothing About Anymore

No one prepared me for this long distance friendship...

180

Dear friend,

I saw recently that you have a new boyfriend! I found out through Instagram, which admittedly was a little weird. Remember the days when we would gawk over boys in the hallway all the time in high school? Or how we would spend 20 minutes constructing a single text to the guy in your math class that you liked so much? Those were fun times. But the guy you are with now seems nice! I mean, I actually know nothing about him or how you know him or what he is like…but he seems…cool?

I saw on Snapchat that you dyed your hair recently, and it looks super good! It reminded me of the Pinterest boards we used to make about hairstyles we wanted for homecoming and the times we spent sending each other pictures promising we would never let each other dye our hair a crazy color. I still look through the boards every now and then and pink is definitely not our color.

I also heard through the grapevine that you switched your major! I never knew that you were into business, but I think it suits you pretty well. You are really savvy, and I honestly think you could be the CEO of any company you wanted.

It's kind of weird not hearing all this stuff directly from you. If I'm being honest, I used to worry that we weren't friends anymore because we talked less and because I didn't know that much about your new life. I felt like I was being replaced by your cool new college friends, and that you didn't care about me because you never texted back or called me to see how I was doing. Now though, I've realized that it doesn't matter how often we text each other or keep in touch when we're away. What matters is that we make the most of the time we do get to spend together. The time we spend laughing and making new memories, being careless and just enjoying each other's company-- that is what means the most.

I know we don't talk a lot anymore, and that you have new friends and new interests and honesty a new life, but remember that I am always here for you no matter what. You'll always be the friend I want to go on late night drives with to the local ice cream shop, or on walks in the park with when there is nothing else to do but get yelled at by our parents. You'll always be my best friend no matter how far apart we are.

I miss you always, and I can't wait to see you soon.

With love, Serena

P.S. Your new college friends better have as high of standards for your boyfriends as I do. Seriously.