Being Homesick Is Normal For College Students

Being Homesick Is Normal For College Students, Don't Feel Bad About It

I've heard enough horror stories to know that being home is honestly an escape from negative people, negative feelings, and even just being homesick.

197

When you first move into the residence halls and get all settled, you will feel really excited about being in a new place. If you're anything like me though, it was a really hard adjustment. Many students enjoy the freedom they've wanted for so long, no more checking in, going out drinking, parties, etc. However, for others who are homebodies, this is a really hard change to handle.

It's also a struggle to overcome what seems the norm for a college student, which is taking advantage of your freedom from adult supervision by staying out until the early morning hours. However, I have to say that that norm isn't really the typical college life because there are a lot of different kinds of students — one of them is the homebody.

Basically, what I mean by this is someone who prefers to be home with their family and dogs; just being back in their hometown make them happy. For me, I go home every other weekend, which would be more frequent if it wasn't because of my work schedule. I don't really want to party. To be honest, I have never felt like I'm missing out on anything by being this way.

Sure, I still like spending time with friends and even drinking occasionally, but nothing beats being at home. To me, being home is the best — watching tv in my own room, sleeping in my own bed and eating homemade meals cooked by my mom have no equal. I look forward to my mom making my favorite meal when I am home. Also, I get to watch the Chicago Blackhawks with my entire family as my mom gets frustrated and yells at the TV as if the players can hear her tell them what exactly they need to do.

Being home shouldn't be something to shame college students for. People need to understand that this is where they escape to and relax. College is extremely stressful, considering you're pretty much thrown into adulthood — we're all being repeatedly punched with new responsibilities throughout the four years. Home is a safe place for so many students because this is where they can go for love and support when life gets them down.

Leaving behind your own space to share a small space with someone you've most likely never met can be really stressful. I've heard enough horror stories to know that being home is an escape from negative people, negative feelings, and even just being homesick. So, stop judging someone who foregoes parties and opts out to heading home instead.