Tips and inspiration to homemaking in college

Making Your House Feel Like A Home Is So Important

Simple reasons why homemaking is important.

237

I grew up with my mom being a stay-at-home mom, and she put a lot of time and effort into always making our home cozy, comforting, warm, and safe. Home was always an environment that I just wanted to get to at the end of the day. The living room was somewhere I wanted to hang out in. And my house was always the place my friends wanted to gather in. By observing my mom, I learned the art of homemaking and hospitality and have become passionate about it in the years I've been living on my own.

I believe that there is something significant about a house that is welcoming. Whether you are hosting a party or preparing for your husband to come home after a long and exhausting day of work, the home should always be somewhere that is warm and safe. It is supposed to be our environment of security. I believe in the responsibility of a woman to create this atmosphere for her husband and her family. With a few actions and a small amount of money, this can be possible and become very easy.

One thing I learned from my mom was to always tidy up at the end of the day. I would always see her wipe the counters, tell us to get our things from the couch, and put away whatever trash or items were laying around. Though different seasons of our life may be busier than others, I think everyone should take the time to clean up for at least five or ten minutes at the end of every day to make the house look better. Windex and air freshener can also go a long way.

Another thing I learned from my mom is a few items can make a big difference in making the house look presentable. Three words: candles candles candles. Candles create a great ambiance and of course a great smell. My mom would always light candles in the house and now that's something I always do to create a good atmosphere. Another thing is flowers. Yes, this may cost a few dollars each trip to the grocery store, but flowers in a vase in the kitchen look beautiful and make a room really come together. Of course, there are other things like wall decorations and pretty pillows. But these are just some simple things that you can add to your home to make it cozy.

Overall, I hope that those reading are encouraged to put some time and thought into making your house a little bit warmer. It could make a difference in your roommate's day when she gets home or it could make the environment more homey to those who may have a difficult home themselves. You never know what could happen.