Home Doesn't Have to be Just One Person or One Place
Nostalgia

Home Isn't Just One Place Or One Person

They say home isn't just a place, it's a person. I think home is much more than that.

142
home
Gracie Dougherty

Home can be much more than just one single place.

I was born in Minnesota. I lived there for the first few years of my life, then I moved to Wisconsin. I've lived in Wisconsin for around sixteen years and I'm happy to call Hudson my hometown. The vast majority of my happiest moments occurred in Wisconsin. As Hudson is right across the river from Minnesota, a lot of my fondest memories also happened in Minnesota. But when I think of home, I think of both Wisconsin and Minnesota. I grew up in both these places, and living there taught me so many valuable things and provided me with some of my best qualities. I primarily found home in my family's house, where I was given comfort, safety, nurture, and more. I also found home in my best friend's house, where her family treated me like one of their own, providing me with all the love and care I could ever need. Home is my boyfriend's family's house, too. I've always been welcomed in with opened arms and opened hearts.

For the first eighteen and a half years of my life, Wisconsin and Minnesota were my home. Then I went to college in Florida. I now also think of Fort Myers, Florida as my home. I feel at home when I'm in my dorm room, where I'm in the comfort of my own living space, as well as with some great friends. My boyfriend's apartment feels like home, too. When I'm there I feel content and relaxed. Together my boyfriend and I add various decor and furnishing to fill his apartment with as much happiness as possible.

Throughout all of these states and cities, I've found home and comfort in every single one of these places. Home doesn't have to be just one location on a map or one house on a street.

Home can be much more than just one single person.

When I think of my family, I think of home. I know that I'm in the right place wherever and whenever I'm with them. I feel happy, I feel safe, and I feel loved when I'm with them. Isn't that how a home should feel? I think of home when I'm with my boyfriend. He provides me with the same happiness, safety, and love that my family does. I feel comfortable and at peace when I'm with him. Isn't that how a home should feel? My best friend feels like home. When I'm with her, I feel joyful, outgoing, and full of laughter. Isn't that how a home should feel?

Home doesn't have to be just one place or just one person- home can be much more than that. For me, home isn't just Wisconsin or Minnesota. Home is my family's house, my best friend's house, and my boyfriend's family's house. Home is Fort Myers, my dorm and my boyfriend's apartment. Home is my family, my best friend, and my boyfriend. I'm lucky enough to be able to find a home in some very special places and people. Home doesn't have to be limited to just one house or one town, one person or one group. Home is wherever you feel the most comfortable and the most at peace.

To every place and every person I've been able to find a home in, thank you. Thank you for all the care, safety, and happiness you've given me.