what to have on a holiday to-do list

8 Things That Should Be On Everyone's Holiday To-Do List

December is around the corner, are you ready?

14133
Unsplash.com

As they tend to say, its the most wonderful time of the year! People have begun to compile their Christmas to-do lists in anticipation for the season of sugarplums and gingerbread.

The history of the Christmas to-do lists goes back hundreds of years, almost as old as the holiday itself, however, people tend to fall out of this habit as they get older. This is unfortunate, as the theme of Christmas tradition can add bundles of the spirit of joy to your families.

Below are some of the most things someone should have on their Christmas to-do lists!

1. Make Christmas cookies.

tasteofhome.com

Gingerbread, gingersnap, sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, it doesn't matter! Baking some sort of Christmas dessert cookies should definitely be on your lists.

2. Burn Christmas candles.

unsplash.com

Walking into a dimly lit room, fire place on, and a holiday scent in the air is one of the best feelings in the world. Yankee Candle Company, Kringle Candle Company, Home Goods, and Bath & Body Works all have a wide variety of candles spanning over many seasonal settings.

3. Ice skating.

instagram.com

This is one thing I have yet to do, but it is one of the first items on my to-do list. For many people they may think, "There are no ice rinks around me, I live in (insert hot Southern State)." But fear not! You may be surprised by a simple Google search to see an ice rink relatively close to you.

4. See snow! (if possible)

You may have to drive a little bit, but it's worth it! Being able to see the snow in all of it's glory can make your winter experience ten-times as fun! Be sure to wear proper footwear though - cold, wet feet are no fun.

5. Decorate a Christmas tree.

unsplash.com

One of my best memories around Christmas time is being able to decorate the tree with my parents and brothers. There is just something so nice about being able to create something together and as festive as the Christmas tree to give you that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

6. Volunteer.

wp.com

It is important to remember that Christmas is also about giving, not just receiving. Taking time to give back to your community can really make you appreciate your own blessings in life. Not only that, serving the disadvantaged and bringing some joy into their lives is just another way to spread the Christmas spirit.

7. Go to a novelty shop.

unsplash.com

Novelty shops are great because unlike other stores, these are just for fun! It is unwinding to go shopping to look at fun little crafts and toys. Who know's maybe you'll find the perfect Christmas gift for someone there?

8. Attend a Christmas parade/festival. 

You will have the most fun at a Christmas parade, I promise you. Going with friends and family is a sure way to hype you all up for the coming holiday season! Get some Christmas sweaters, ugly hats, and just roll with it!

This truly is one of the best times of the year, and it is up to us to make the most of it. Although all of these listed activities are sure ways to make your holidays bright, there is always something more important: Spending time with your family and loved ones. Yes, the holidays are about the Christmas spirit, the caroling, the sleigh rides, and the fruitcake. But more importantly, they are about the time of year when we can all come together, love one another, and get ready for the New Year. Remember this and have a great holiday season!