Hillary Clinton Shouldn't Run in 2020
Politics

I'm A Democrat, But I Don't Think Hillary Clinton Should Run For President In 2020

Oh 2020, ways away yet so close, an election we all await, and at the same time, deeply fear.

146
Instagram / Hillary Clinton
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMjSJ3KAXK_/?hl=en&taken-by=hillaryclinton

I don't want to return my thoughts and contemplations to the 2016 presidential election, mostly because I'm still recovering from its trials and tribulations. I was deeply saddened when Hillary Clinton lost the election. Like many others (and most of the nation, which is a jab at the electoral college), I wanted the outcome to be different from what was. I feared, do fear and will forever fear the leadership of Donald Trump.

But, after she lost, I worried that she would run for office again. And this time, I am worried she won't be the best option.

This year, Hillary Clinton returned to the politics of the presidency in a recent interview. When asked if she would run in the 2020 election, she expressed hesitation while saying no. It was a slight pause, but present nonetheless. Was this, perhaps, an inkling of perseverance? A desire to try again?

Again, I supported Hillary Clinton. I considered her a trailblazer and disliked the focus on her emails, despite the fact that an FBI investigation had been conducted that cleared her of the charges and despite Trump's many, morally reprehensible actions and accusations leveled against him.

But, with that said, I must say: I do not think Hillary should run for president in the 2020 election. I do not think that move will be wise, especially if the Democrats want their contender to oust Trump from the presidency.

To win the 2020 presidential election, Democrats need a new face. Not somebody new to politics necessarily but somebody who hasn't run for president before. Somebody without scandal, with experience serving the country (such as through military service or time in the Senate), and somebody who is reliable and respected by the public.

Somebody who is not Hillary Clinton.

Would it be wise for us to fuel her potential rerun, knowing how the first two runs of her's have culminated? Would it be wise for us to throw our hopes and desires for the future of this country behind her, knowing what is at stake? Knowing that the issues of climate change, birth control, abortion and immigration hang in the balance? Knowing her past controversies? Knowing how her image is warped and twisted?

The presidency is so much more than a position or title. It represents our country on a global scale. Other nations look to the president to represent their citizen populous.

Is it so much to ask for that our president don't have daily Twitter meltdowns and instead focus on bettering our country, promoting its future, and spend more time unifying than vilifying?