How Seth Rogen Brings Awareness To Alzheimers

Kick Alz in the Ballz

26

For the past two years now, I have had the amazing opportunity to volunteer at the philanthropy event Hilarity for Charity. Each year, this variety show comes up with new, creative themes to keep the audience entertained with ample opportunities throughout the show to donate. Themes in the past have been anywhere from an 80’s prom to James Franco’s Bar Mitzvah. This year did not disappoint with its Halloween theme. Everything from the spooky decor to the decked out guests made this theme over-the-top incredible.

Many comedians such as Marc Maron, Justin Wilman, James Corden and many others sent laughter flooding through room.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt came out with his wife and sang a lovely little duet.

Courtney Love joined us for a song.

Nicholas Petricca from the band Walk the Moon made an appearance entering with his rendition of “Thriller” by Micheal Jackson as well as singing his famous hit “Shut up and Dance with me.” Petricca also shared his own personal story about how Alzheimer’s disease affected his life.

Although the night was star-studded, the night closed with one performance that stood above the rest. Snoop Dogg gave the audience something they should have expected because of his iconography, but didn’t because of the setting. Snoop Dogg brought his own show and his own rules down to Hollywood on this evening when he raffled off an item of his that was handmade.... The atmosphere and actions he condoned wouldn’t have played off if he was anyone else, but because he is Snoop Dogg, his performance was embraced with open arms and he was a hit at the end of the night (or at least he was taking one).

More importantly than the entertainment value, this event raised over $1.6 million for Alzheimer’s disease research. Since the program began, the HFC events have raised over $5.1 million. Alzheimer’s disease does not get the recognition it deserves. Many people don’t know that more than 5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease and another American develops Alzheimer’s disease every 66 seconds. The first step is being made aware. Seth Rogen puts his fame to good use by spreading this awareness. One of the most amazing aspects of this event is how it is able to take a topic as serious and ugly as Alzheimer’s disease and take this positive, light-hearted spin. Their “Kick Alz in the Ballz” mentality is exactly what makes donating and going to the event such an enjoyable, philanthropic experience. I can’t wait to volunteer again next year.

Read more about this amazing organization below:

http://hilarityforcharity.org