Surviving Your 5 Year High School Reunion With Confidence

Five years hasn't made you old and stupid, but smarter and wiser.

934
Belaire High School Facebook Group Page

My high school class decided to hold a five year class reunion at the expense of some of the classmates reconnecting through Facebook. For me, this was my worst nightmare. Class reunions, already? I’m only 23-years-old! Class reunions don’t really happen until you’re about to turn 30 years old. Am I really getting close to that point in age? Has it really been that long?

I sort of “peaked” or almost reached my maximum popularity potential in high school. I was the girl who made everyone laugh, but was still very intelligent and weird. I didn’t have many friends, but the ones I did have were considered the “cool nerds” of the senior class. I was a theater kid, never getting the leading role, but always getting the “ditzy, blonde haired, small minded” supporting roles. I was even voted “Best Personality” among my peers which was the biggest shock to me. I always thought I had the personality of a dried piece of toast. But, for me, I felt untouchable. When I graduated and went to college, I was slapped, beaten down and wrestled by the real world. I felt like I was supposed to thrive, but I completely lost my way.

Now, after five years, I’m finishing up my college career with no idea on how to take on the future and this class reunion was not going to make me feel any better about it.

After talking with my classmates and hearing their post graduation stories, my mentality about “bragging at class reunions” has changed. Yeah, it’s cool to say “this and that” have been accomplished but is it really needed? Class reunion bragging is the adult version of bullying or saying “Nah-nah, I’m better than you!”

But this is how you beat them at their own game, tell them what you have done back.

"So, you published a book on Amazon? Well, I went to Disney World twice and enjoyed it."

"That’s great you graduated nursing school! I’ll be graduating in December and I will have already written my first thesis by that time too."

"Wow, you’ve started your own make up business? Well, I’ll be starting my own photography business soon. No, we can’t work together."

The “lesson” I’ve learned from this experience is accomplishments are accomplishments. You are in control of your own destiny, do what makes you feel good and if it takes over five years to get there, it’s still okay. Don’t let your former classmates make you feel like a loser for not being on their level yet.

And besides, by the time the next five year reunion happens, I could possibly be flying to the venue in my own personal helicopter. Life has a funny way of working out.