To The Summer Camp Counselor, The Hardest Job

Challenging, Never.

36
Crafts

We all have the jobs that we will take on in life that will challenge us. Whether this challenge is a physical one, or even a mental challenge, one will occur. I've always imagined the job that I would take that would be the most challenging would be the one I would make a career out of. However, this is not the case.

The hardest job that I have come across thus far, is that of a summer camp counselor. This has been a job that has really tested my ability to relate to kids younger than myself. I know that I am not that much older than they are, but already the world has changed so much. The world I grew up in was much more different.

In their world parents must be aware of everything they say or do. People these days are more worried than ever of offending people. It is sad that we can not live in a world where we can get along, because someone will always be offended and take something the wrong way.

This job is also one of a physical challenge. You spend the entire summer in the woods of South Carolina. Dying of heat and mosquitoes, barely any A/C. But I love every dying minute of it. I grew up in the woods, and going to camp in the hottest part of the summer, and I wouldn't have it any differently.

Through this job I have expanded my friendships, not only across the state, but across the seas. Every year we have internationals that come abroad and work with us throughout the summer. At the end, they travel and eventually head back home. It's unimaginable that I spent every day for the past 2 months, with people whom I may never physically see again. It tests my ability to keep in contact and communicate with those who I really do hold dear to me.

This job is stressful and full of new challenges everyday, but it keeps you on your toes and busy. I never have a dull summer, and for a little while, you are a kids entire world. There is nothing better then seeing a kid's face light up when they see you have returned for yet another summer. The tears they cry at the end of the week are tears that pull at your heartstrings, because you know how much you really meant to them.

In the end, if the job isn't challenging, has it really been rewarding? I would much rather have a job that is difficult and rewarding then something that is easy and no fun at all. All I could hope for in the end is that I find myself in a career that is just as challenging and rewarding.