A Guy Tried To Climb Trump Tower And The Internet Turned It Into A Meme

2016 is cancelled, go back to bed.

23
ABC News

This is Steve. Sometime between 3:30 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. on August 10, Steve began climbing the 58-story high Trump Tower based in New York... with suction cups.

He made it to the 21st story of the building before cops finally seized him. Police officers reportedly spent several hours attempting to stop the man while crowds eagerly watched and recorded from below. They even positioned a big inflatable for Steve to land on in case he fell.

The day before the incident, Steve, a self-proclaimed "independent researcher" and Trump supporter, posted a YouTube video explaining that he wanted to get Trump's attention to discuss an "important matter" with him privately.

"Believe me if my purpose was not significant, I would not risk my life pursuing it," he said in the video, referencing his plan to climb the tower. "If I had sought this by conventional means I would be much less likely to have success."

Steve was finally seized by the police at approximately 6:30 p.m. From there, he was carried out in a stretcher and taken to undergo psychiatric evaluation.

Naturally, the Internet completely lost it.

One Twitter user even created a parody account, dubbed "TrumpTowerGuysEx."

... yes, someone actually came up with that.

There was also some brief confusion when some "Supernatural" fans mistakenly believed it was Jared Padalecki who was climbing the tower.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F08%2F11%2F6360649104943038651630936531_jared%2520gif.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=44&h=b1be0c9662265945fe663e47dc060d125c9bed7280c3164e22e5507eafd0f82a&size=980x&c=2790994923 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F08%252F11%252F6360649104943038651630936531_jared%252520gif.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D44%26h%3Db1be0c9662265945fe663e47dc060d125c9bed7280c3164e22e5507eafd0f82a%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2790994923%22%7D" expand=1]

But that was nothing. The craziness really began after the Internet caught a glimpse of this video...

... and turned it into a meme:

And there's plenty more where that came from.

It's not all fun and games, though. Others have said that the incident represents white privilege and that Steve would not have been captured alive if he wasn't white.

In other news, 2016 is cancelled because the Internet really, really needs a break. Go back to bed.