5 Reasons 'Grown-ish' Will Be Your Favorite Show

This feel-good sitcom will have you crying, laughing, and most importantly - clicking "next episode."

88
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/363790817
Freeform

If you're looking for a new series to binge-watch on a lazy day (or every day), look no further. "Grown-ish" revolves around the life of Zoey Johnson and her dynamic group of friends enduring their first year of college. This show includes everything from navigating friendships to relationships, career choices, life in college etc. You will not regret giving this realistic, upbeat show a chance.

It celebrates diversity.

One of my favorite aspects of "Grown-ish" is that it stars a colored woman, who is portrayed as intelligent, likable, kind and funny. The series realistically depicts women of different sexualities and ethnicities with so many positive qualities. ABC makes it easy to relate to characters with realistic personalities and struggles which many college students can relate to.

"Grown-ish" shows realistic college students' struggles.

CHLOE BAILEY, TREVOR JACKSON, HALLE BAILEY, YARA SHAHIDI

The writers of "Grown-ish" have exceeded in depicting the struggles of an average college student. Zoey faces many hardships including finding her own identity, inevitably comparing herself to other people, and making career choices. Not many tv shows or movies depict the confusion many people face during this phase of life, and how this confusion is completely normal and temporary.

It accurately integrates technology.

"Grown-ish" makes it known that technology is an integral part of many millennials' lives. Zoey and her friends' use of technology is not shown in the cheesy way which many movies/tv shows depict. Instead of using technology to make it seem like millennials only speak in emojis, Grown-ish shows the effects which it has on us and our mental well-being.

Valuable lessons.

As cliche as it may sound, grown-ish does a great job of providing life lessons through depicting the students' struggles. Zoey and her friends encounter plenty of obstacles in navigating their friendships and relationships. The close friends though, almost always resolve their issues in a realistic way. Besides providing entertainment, there is always something to be gained by watching how the conflicts among friends are resolved.

Zoey's Sense of Style

ABRAHAM D. JUSTE, YARA SHAHIDI

If you're anything like me, you value good costume design in shows and movies. Many of the "Grown-ish" stars have great style, but Zoey's is especially great. In each scene, she's shown in a new, unique outfit which was no doubt planned with careful consideration. Although many college students don't dress nearly as nice for class, Zoey is a fashion major so this one unrealistic choice can have a pass. I also can't imagine enjoying watching a show where characters dress as carelessly and sloppy as I do for class.

If you haven't had the chance to watch ABC's "Grown-ish", be sure to check out this effortlessly hilarious series. There's not much to dislike about a show with great fashion, diverse characters and realistic drama that will have you binge watching for hours. Next time you put off your homework to watch "Gossip Girl" for the eighth time, consider giving Freeform's hit series a chance!