Getting Older Means Losing Some Familial Bonds
Politics

But here's why you'll be OK.

176
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-beach-holiday-woman-39691/

We've all had similar run-ins with our family. You're back from your freshman year of college, flush with a newfound maturity. You decide to go to that family barbecue because you haven't seen them in months. You're having fun and then... your aunt says nearly the most homophobic thing you've ever heard. You recoil in shock. Nobody is challenging her on her statement. In fact, your family is chiming in with their own opinions. You realize these are the same opinions you've always heard at these family get-togethers, but now that you're older it makes you feel a distance between yourself and these strangers.

Maybe the aforementioned scenario is a little specific, but the idea of it is not. Growing older and gaining new experience as an adult means realizing that just because someone is related to you, doesn't mean they're the best person for you to be around. Everyone has heard the saying "Blood is thicker than water" but many people don't know this is not the full saying. The full statement is "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" the full adage completely changes the meaning. The real meaning is that bonds you form yourself, are actually more important rather than bonds you can't control, like family. Being close to family members is great, but it is not something you should force if the relationship does more bad than good. Everyone knows to cut off a friend or significant other if the relationship is toxic, why should family be any different?

Everyone likes to have a group of people they can consider their home.

For most people, their family is that group. But what if your family has nothing but negativity to offer? Should you still have to stand by them no matter what? You should never put yourself in a situation that isn't beneficial to you. I forcing yourself to keep a relationship with people you don't like simply because they're related to you isn't helping you then you should stop. Family is not all you have, the bonds you form with people, family or otherwise, is what you have.