7 Deacon Tips To Help Prepare For Graduation At Wake Forest University

The checklist every senior Deac needs.

231
Madison Yauger

Graduation is fast approaching, and I mean fast. There are a million and one events going on, in addition to the ‘lasts’, ‘finals’, and ‘farewells’. It can be a stressful time if you’re not on top of things, so to help you navigate through the final weeks of being in college, I’ve prepared a checklist of things to do before graduation.

1. Make sure you have all your credits completed.

I can’t think of anything worse than finishing up your final exams, only to realize that you needed an extra class for your major, or you were a few hours shy of the graduation requirement. Thankfully Degree Works assists in organizing your degree, so use it!

2. Order your graduation gear!

Be it announcements, your cap, and gown, or class rings, it’s a time of celebration and you’re going to need some swag, so order it sooner than later!

3. Secure your Commencement and Baccalaureate tickets.

Thankfully at Wake, everyone is supposedly guaranteed 8 tickets for commencement and 2 for baccalaureate, but don’t procrastinate with ordering these, because you never know…

4. Tie up loose ends with your housing.

Whether this is just making sure you pass final room inspections for your dorm or sub-leasing your off-campus housing for the summer, make sure all the loose ends are neatly tied up.

5. After graduation plans??

Obviously, this is the most stressful part of graduation, the big question of “what next?” If you’re going to grad/law/medical school, that’s great! If you have a job/are applying for jobs, that’s great! If you’re not sure what to do, don’t fret! You can always volunteer somewhere over the summer and continue adding experience to your resume.

The world is full of opportunities and you never know when a door will open! The more experience you have, the better! Also, even if you already have plans for next year, the office of personal career and development can help you network in your new area. There are Deacs everywhere, people!

6. Plan ahead to stay connected with friends!

Once everyone gets into their new routines, you have to be realistic that it’s not going to be easy to just jet off to meet up with your friends on a whim. It’s going to take work and planning, and if you figure out ways to keep in touch now, it will make it a lot easier then!

7. Enjoy every moment.

College is coming to a close and it’s really bittersweet. Do what you can to make it memorable and fun! Go out, stay in and spend time with your friends, enjoy the moments you have to yourself (in the working world those are far and few between), and don’t sweat the small stuff. Everything will work out as it’s meant to.

If you stick to this checklist, you’ll be in good shape when it comes time to walk across that stage and collect your diploma!