To The (Almost) Former Student Who Is Not Ready To Leave Just Yet

They can't kick us out, can they?

90
Megan Bradow

Take a second to really stop and think about how far you have come since stepping on campus as a freshman.

Maybe it's just me, but life seems to be flying by at a million miles an hour and I just can't quite seem to get a grip on all the monumental changes happening in my life over the next few months.

This summer I will graduate from Texas A&M and officially be a former student. Many of my friends graduated within the past weeks and now proudly hold this status.

What seems to be a common theme among all of us is that no one realized how quickly it would all pass us by. Everyone was so focused on finishing classes as fast as possible, applying to jobs months before graduating, and looking at becoming an "adult" as soon as the world would let us that we hardly even noticed it was happening.

Maybe it's just me, but now that it is actually happening, now that I am actually on the brink of becoming a former student, I realize how bittersweet my time on campus has truly been.

My last football game in the student section, my last chapter meeting, my last formal, all of it passed me by and I hardly stopped to notice it. I was so focused on getting my life in order that I didn't realize my life was happening right in front of me.

To all the incoming seniors, seriously, appreciate every single thing you do this year. Every Chimy's trip, every overnight in the library, every late night Whataburger run with your roommates, all of it. Because before you realize it, it is all gone.

Before you know it, all the people and places you have grown so close to will suddenly be so far away. Best friends will get jobs across the country, Kyle field won't always be within walking distance, and it may be a long time before you get to have another barhopping night with your roommates who feel more like family.

Make plans to keep in touch and actually follow up on them. Even if it's once a year, make an effort to see your best friends and the people who really supported you through it all. I know that without my roommates, there is no way I would have the grades I do or be graduating when I am. They truly were my rock for the past few years and I cannot imagine not seeing them every day.

Take in every single tradition that A&M has to offer. You will never have another experience quite like it and it truly will shape your time on campus. Even if you're a second-semester senior, go at least once. It is not stupid or corny, it is part of being in the Aggie network and you won't have any idea how much you'll miss it until it's gone.

So remember, always put a penny on Sully for luck and never take for granted that you can. Appreciate every detail and remember every moment because one day it will all just be a part of the story you tell about your time at Texas A&M - and it will never quite be enough.