A Goodbye Letter To The Sport I Used To Play

Why you will always have a place in my heart.

821

To the sport I no longer play,

You were the best to my friend and it was honestly so hard to say goodbye and walk off the field for one last time. You were in my life for so many memorable years. You taught me that no matter no how many times you fall, you have to get back up and try again. I will carry that lesson with me for the rest of my life and teach my children that someday. We were a power team together and whenever I was with you I always had a smile on my face. I created a name for myself through the blood, sweat, and tears. Thank you mostly for the memories that I will never forget.

The dedication I put into practicing has taught me that if I want something bad enough, I need to go for it and give it my all. I grew up playing sports, and saying goodbye was not easy. My whole life revolved around you. I ate, slept, and played. That was my day every single day for the longest time. I will always cherish the pregame rituals, pasta parties the night before a game, the tears of joy after winning a big game, and even the hugs after a tough loss. At the time, I never imagined my life without you.

We played in any weather condition bundled up in the freezing cold, pouring rain and even snow,
out there practicing to get better each and every day. My coach always told me that I was the reason all the other coaches were making them practice so hard. Because of all the hard work, I remember going to my dances and proms with bruises and cuts because I gave 110 percent every single day. When I practiced the same thing over and over, I never questioned it because I knew it was going to turn into muscle memory and make me a better player. Some days we were off, but we pushed through it together.

I will never forget the words, "on the end line" and the feeling in my stomach about to drop once the whistle blew. I learned to believe in myself and pulled the strength out of me to finish and not give up. My coaches always gave the support that I needed, and pushed me when I doubted myself. The heavy breathing started to happen and the negative thoughts came after a while but because of them I learned that I can achieve my goals if I push myself towards it.

The feeling of being in the game never felt so good and some days I wish I could put on the equipment and just play one more time. I am happy that I can look back and say I always gave it my all. Most importantly, I will never forget my teammates. I may not always remember the drills or a specific game, but I will remember my best friend tripping over nothing in a game and the whole team laughing. We win together and we lose together and that's what has stuck with me. A lesson that even out of sports your friends and or teammates will always be by your side through thick and thin.

The end eventually came where I had to put away my equipment, and I walked off the field with tears running down my face. Saying goodbye to a sport I grew up with was not easy but it had to be done sooner or later. Being an athlete will always remain in my blood. Saying goodbye to the lifestyle was not easy because it was a part of my daily routine for so many years.

Not a day goes by where I don't think of the sport. It was like letting go of something or someone you loved very much. This was a type of breakup for me. I still look at old pictures and newspaper article from time to time to see what I have accomplished. I can't thank you enough for making me into the person I am today and teaching me so many valuable lessons. Please keep the game alive and teach all these young athletes what life has to offer through the game. Thanks for making me feel like I was on top of the world even though I was just an average person.

I still miss you,

Old Athlete