5 Ridiculously Simple Things You Can Do To Be More Green

Changing a persons entire lifestyle is way too difficult to ask for so just be more fashionable and make it enjoyable when you do it.

13

When you talk to Eco-Friendly organizations, they tend to try and convince you to make major life changes and convert to go greener in just a few days. But this is not realistic so I found that by doing these few things, I am lessening the burden on myself and the environment.

Buy reusable bags instead of using plastic bags

media.defense.gov

Reusable bags tend to be flimsy, thin, and break easily. Most reusable bags will be near the front of the store right before you check-out. Sometimes stores will sell these reusable bags for charity or organizations so you can also give to charity at the same time. If you invest in a (usually 50 cent to $1) reusable bag, you can help reduce the number of shopping bags in the environment that kill grass, flowers, and is one fo the leading causes of death in marine animals.

Stores that sell these include Ross, Roses, Gabes, Target, T.J. Maxx, even Office Depot (etc.)

Buy yourself a reusable plastic water bottle instead of buying disposable water bottles

upload.wikimedia.org

80 percent of the one-use water bottles we buy in bulk or individually end up in a landfill or in the Ocean after you throw them out. If you are a college student, most campus' have bottle filling stations that help save water and reduce the need for one-use disposable bottles. Not only does it serve as a water bottle but it is easier to distinguish at the gym, refillable, and allows you to track how much water you drink.

Because of the durability of plastic water bottles, it takes upwards to 1,000 years for every plastic bottle to decompose. Even then, it can break down into micro-plastic, a problem becoming more prominent in the Ocean that we end up eating through marine and wildlife animals.

My favorites are Casaon ($15), Bottled Joy ($10), Pogo ($8), but look for one you like and is BPA-free(BPA is toxic and found in some plastics)!!

If you use disposable bottles, put those in a separate trash bag

storage.needpix.com

On average, an American produces around 4.4 pounds of trash every day, according to the EPA. And about 34% or a pound and a half of that trash is recyclable.

If you keep a small bag or large bag in your kitchen, under the sink or somewhere you know you always finish bottles, you can You don't have to know what can and cannot be recycled if it consists of only that and any other plastics you know can be recycled. This is a process that is difficult to adapt to but it also means fewer trips to the dump or emptier trash can so it doesn't overflow.

Instead of throwing away vegetable and fruit peels, throw them in your backyard (garden)

doityourself.com

Keeping decomposable food out of your trash will eliminate the chance of your trash stinking, leaking, or inviting unwelcome insects (maggots, flies, fruit flies, etc.).

If you are concerned about the smell, you can bury the peels or leftovers and it will become compost that makes your grass and soil more vibrant and rich. This is the soil you would want if you start a garden or are maintaining one.

Plant a tree and watch it grow

Watching a seed grow into a sprout gives you an enormous amount of pride and joy. It is something you cultivate on your own and shower with your love. It is a personal accomplishment that you control.

Not only do you get happiness, but you also anticipate its growth. One day it may be nothing, the next day it has 5 sprouts that you then wait to grow taller and taller. Watching the soil absorb water and knowing that your the reason it lives is a responsibility that it is amazing.

If you Reuse, reduce, and recycle, it makes the Earth a better place to live and helps to reduce the death sentence that Scientist have given us until we are unable to save it. Scientists say we have 7 years until the economy gets so bad, it is irreversible.

Make a difference without having to make your lifestyle different.