I Am Still Going To Celebrate Getting My Bachelor's

I Am Still Going To Celebrate Getting My Bachelor's, Even Though I Am Continuing My Education

I'm not letting anyone tell me otherwise.

14

As recent as a year and a half ago, I decided that I wanted to get my Master's degree in Higher Education. It was for the better, anyway. I knew that it would benefit me in the long run, regardless of the amount of debt I would be in.

Now that it is official and I am getting prepared for it, it almost feels like I'm not graduating with my Bachelor's in a week. It also feels like no one really cares because I am going straight to grad school.

I'm not alone on this boat. I know many of my friends and colleagues are going to grad school in the fall and feeling the exact same way I'm feeling. It feels a little weird. I know in my heart that where I am right now and what I will be doing next week is a big accomplishment.

I'm not going to delay my celebration another two years just because a Master's degree is higher up or more important. A Bachelor's degree is just as important as a Master's or a Doctorate degree.

Many people don't need to go for their Master's or any other professional degree. A Bachelor's, for most, is enough. Once you are in college, it's almost required that you finish and receive your degree. Anything more is almost optional. But I chose that option to continue my education now while I'm young, single, and not that busy.

Regardless, completing college is still an achievement. Getting the Dean's List almost every semester is still an achievement. Student teaching itself is a rewarding achievement. College graduation is the one thing I have dreamed of ever since I could remember.

But my major was Education. We all have different majors. We all have different things to do and different responsibilities to own up to. I also wasn't expecting to decide on grad school, but I think it was in the back of my mind all along.

I am still going to celebrate my Bachelor's, even though I am still pursuing and craving more education. It is still a big achievement. For some, it's the end of the road as far as school is concerned, so I'm going to think that, too. I'm going to remember that I chose to continue along, but I still made it to a Bachelor's.

Damn, it's amazing to do that for me.

If you're like me, remember that a Bachelor's is still a great accomplishment, whether you're going to grad school or not. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Congratulations, Class of 2019!