The Process Is Greater Than The Goal Itself

The Reason You're Not Reaching Your Goals Is Because You Don't Actually Want Them

Yes, you read that right. You're so in love with the finish line that you forgot the importance of the process.

38
Emily Gigliotti

We all have goals. We all have dreams. You have this image in your mind of where you want to be. You want to be sitting in a big office at the top of a skyscraper in NYC. You want to be on the stage, with devoted fans chanting your name. You want to have a family one day and give your children the chance to have a financially stable childhood and transition to adulthood.

No matter what it is, you know you want it. It burns in the pit of your stomach, and you want it so bad, you'd be willing to do anything for it.

"No matter how long it takes."

"I'll do anything to get there."

"It's all I want."

We all talk about how bad we want to reach our goals, but do you really have what it takes to reach those goals?

Before you hop right away with a "yes" at that statement, sit back and think. What are you doing in your life right now that is guiding you to that finish line? Or, a more important question, are you constantly feeling stuck like you are taking the steps but aren't getting there? Or maybe you feel like the desire to succeed burns inside you, and you want it, but when it comes time to step up and start working, you stop and push it off.

I can tell you right now, that there is a big chance your goals aren't actually what you want.

I know it sounds absurd, but in order to reach your goals and finally feel successful one day in that dream life of yours, you need to learn and grow along the way. You need to be more obsessed with the process than the goal itself.

Let me say that again: the process is more important than the goal itself.

In the process of getting to where you're going, you're going to learn a lot about yourself. You're going to learn your strengths and weaknesses. You're going to understand how you handle situations when you're frustrated. You're going to be able to handle failure and learn from it. Isn't that the most beautiful part of life; the failure and growth process?

So, if you want to reach your dreams and aspirations down the line, you better learn to fall in love with the process. If you can't do that, you might want to look in the mirror and realize that those goals aren't really what you want. You're so in love with the finish line that you forgot the importance of the process.

The process is more important than the actual goal. Don't forget that.