Five things I can do to make junior year of college my best.

5 Goals I Have For My Junior Year

This school year will be my best year yet.

62
5 Goals I Have For My Junior Year
Amanda Larch

With the new school year fast approaching, I've been thinking a lot about the goals I want to accomplish this semester and the next. I'll be starting my junior year; it's so crazy to think I'm already half way finished with college. As I've been reflecting on my past two years at Marshall, I realize they were filled with mistakes but also with blessings, and I wonder if I'm living my best college life, or my life to the fullest. In two more years I'll have my degree, and I'll have to start being an actual adult with a job and responsibilities. But before that, I want to check some things off my college bucket list. So, here are five things I want to try to make this school year the best one yet.

(Disclaimer: I'm pretty lame, so don't expect this list to be filled with anything too outrageous- it's mostly school orientated goals.)

1. Explore more of Huntington.

Many Marshall students hardly ever leave campus, and during my first year, I was one of those students. Now, I'm eager to explore everything Huntington has to offer, including book stores, night life, live music and restaurants. This city will be my home for only a couple more years, and I want to make as many memories here as possible. I want to drag my friends out of their dorms and take them shopping downtown with me, or to open mic readings and art shows. Huntington is growing and prospering, and it's only going to continue to thrive in the coming years, so why shouldn't I be right in the middle of it all, experiencing everything I can?

2.*Actually* Use my fancy new planner.

If you're like me, you love buying school supplies. They make me feel organized and prepared for anything. I recently purchased the most amazing planner ever- it had everything on my check list, including extra pages for notes, and it even has little areas each week where I can doodle. The cover is beautiful, and just looking at it inspires me to get to work. I just have to remind myself I still have a few weeks before I can put it to good use, but it's definitely something I'm looking forward to. I know having cool supplies and being organized doesn't automatically guarantee I'll pass all my classes, but it helps, right?

3.Go to the Rec Center.

Confession time: I've only worked out in the Rec a few times in my college career. Pathetic, I know. But that's why it's on my list, I really want to start utilizing it again. I know it'll be tough finding the perfect time and convincing my friends to go with me (I hate working out alone), but I can make it work. The freshman fifteen really hit me hard, and let's just say sophomore year was very good to me too….so I'm eager to finally get in shape. And the best part of the Rec is that it's free, or at least included in tuition costs, so I'm crazy to not have taken better advantage of it earlier!

4. Make new friends.

I've already met some of my best friends at Marshall, and I know they'll be lifelong friends too, but a person can never have too many. I need to start getting out of my comfort zone and attending more university events and activities; they're always a great way to make friends. I love my friends to death, but a lot of them don't share all my same interests, and I think it would be so fun to hang out with more people who I have things in common with. Plus, making new friends would help with everything I've already listed- we can go to different places in Huntington, study together and even work out. I'm so excited to see what, and who, this school year holds for me.

5. Be a better leader.

I know that probably sounds cliche, but it rings true. Starting this fall, I'll be the executive editor for the Honors College newsletter, The Oracle, and I'll be copy editor for The Parthenon. As well as more responsibility, I'll also have to be a good example for those I'm in charge of. It will also get me out of my shell. I've always been pretty shy, and I know for my career choice, I need to snap out of it. Marshall has already helped me with that in so many ways, and I am so thankful. So, with these new opportunities, it's the perfect example to become a great leader.