People need to stop being so sensitive to everything

From Glam-Shaming To Age-Shaming, People Need To Stop Being So Sensitive About Everything

Where does it end?

141

While casually scrolling around on Instagram the other day (okay you got me I was celeb stalking) I came across some comments on a model's page. The comments negatively pointed out the model's weight, saying she was too thin. Other models' Instagrams feature comments from angry people who criticize them by suggesting they are too heavy. Usually, celebrities write calm and collected messages in return, defending themselves. They always seem very chill and confident, but, come on, they're probably at least somewhat offended.

Not only is hating on someone's looks harmful, but there are other problems associated with this issue.

First of all, why are there so many ways to shame people and why are you spending your time on the internet or in person critiquing other people? Second of all, why is everyone so sensitive about all these critiques? It's impossible to walk on eggshells 24/7 in order to make sure that you say the right thing to everyone. Now, I am not suggesting that you roast the living hell out of anyone because shaming other is really not okay, but fat-shaming, thin-shaming, age-shaming, glam-shaming... where does it end?

There are so many ways to shame one another, but what's the point?

We have all grown up in this society in which we are so focused on each other. We compare ourselves not only to models but also to each other. The internet makes it even easier to shame others. Sometimes people are just talking, pointing things out. Other times they want to feel better about themselves, yet those receiving the shame still feel upset. I believe this culture causes everyone to be on their toes all the time just waiting and wondering when the next negative comment will come up. This causes everyone to be super sensitive, even to minor comments that aren't meant to be rude.

So, how should we fix this? Neither position is that fun to be in. You could either be shaming random people online just for kicks, which really is mean, or you could be the person receiving the shaming, which obviously would suck. I am not suggesting that these things do not exist in some cases. In some cases, it is possible for someone to truly shame another person for their age, weight, and more. However, we need to stop focusing so much on each other and focus on ourselves.

If you are happy with your weight, age, shape, size, etc. then just be happy.

Do not criticize others because their reasons for being happy may be different than yours. Also, if someone does criticize you, try to remember that Taylor Swift said, "haters gonna hate" so you do you. Why should you care what Jenna from Instagram thinks about you? You are fierce AF and perfect just the way you are, so embrace it! Furthermore, if you are that person writing or saying detrimental comments, please stop hating on confident people just trying to live their lives. They are perfect being themselves, and, no matter how hard you try, you cannot screw with that type of perfection.