Why We Need To Take A Break From Technology

Your snapchat story doesn't always have to have something to show.
148

I know we all love our phones dearly and can't imagine a day without them, but we all need to unplug sometimes and take a break from technology. We as a society have a very hard time putting our phones down and enjoying the life that is in front of us, even I'm guilty of it.

We are constantly sitting on social media scrolling mindlessly through pictures and feds we just laid eyes on only minutes ago to see that nothing has changed, we have to keep those Snapchat streaks because hell will freeze over if we lose a stupid fire emoji that literally means nothing besides sending a black screen or ugly selfie first thing in the morning to make sure you still have that streak, we creep on old friends to see what they are up to and compare our lives to those around us based on the things they post which of course is only going to be the amazing concerts, vacations, friends, boyfriends, and the most breathtaking selfies that took over an hour to get right.

Then we wonder why we are unhappy with our own selves. We all have a bit of an unhealthy relationship with our beloved phones. We are missing out on some amazing things in our lives. No, you don't have to take a picture and post it on every social media site to show your on vacation or went to a concert, your Snapchat story doesn't always have to have something to show.

We need to start putting our phones down and interacting with the people around us.

Yes take pictures of the people in your life and the places you visit, but not everything you do needs to be broadcasted to the internet. I know you want to show your friends and family what you are doing with your life, but what if you gave them a call or even visited them and showed them the pictures of your adventures in person? I understand the satisfied feeling of getting likes on pictures, but we can't rely on a stupid like button, think about the priceless facial expression when you tell your grandparent or parents about the vacation you just went on, think about the laughs you'll share, and the conversations you'll have.

We need to start taking the time to enjoy the good company around us, and take in our surroundings. It amazes me how many couples or families go out for dinner and they aren't even talking to one another they are playing games or scrolling through their social media accounts missing out on valuable time together. Technology is a very great thing, but when it starts cutting into your relationships and family time it's a problem. Think about how much you are on your phone, think about what you are doing on your phone, is it really that much more important than having a conversation with your friends and loved ones?

Don't get me wrong I love having a smartphone and having the internet right at my fingertips it's a glorious thing, but the mindless hours spent on my phone when I can be doing more productive things makes me cringe when I think about all the wasted time spent using my phone.It crazy to see how much tome is given into using something that can't even have a real conversation with us, sorry Siri.

I encourage you all to take a break from your phone for a few hours, days, maybe even a week and see how often you want to grab it for comfort. Even trying deleting the apps you use the most often if you aren't comfortable completely giving up your phone. I've done this many times before and it's disturbing to see how often I'd try to click for the social media app that is no longer there, and it made me think why I wanted to check the app. Nine times out of 10 it was just out of boredom and then I'd scroll and click through for minutes to hours at a time wasting precious time on something that doesn't even matter.

This summer I encourage you all to try and break away from using your phones as often as you do, take a break from social media and make some memories only you and your friends know about, take the time to truly listen to your friends and family around you. Invite a friend to lunch and leave your phones in the car then you won't be tempted to use them. Take a vacation or camping trip where you don't get service and enjoy it...bring a few good books and great company and I promise you'll have those memories for a lifetime, even if you don't have the Snapchats to prove it. Take pictures only you know about that you can cherish forever and show your children some day. Give social media and your phone a break and you'll start to see more of the greatness around you.