What Girls Wear To The Gym Should Be The Least Of Your Worries
Wellbeing

What I Wear To The Gym Should Be The Least Of Your Worries

Yes, I wear Lululemon, and no, you shouldn't worry about it.

114

Athletic wear and yoga apparel brands are everywhere today. From Lululemon to Alo, women are repping these brands at the gym, at coffee shops, and anywhere on the go. The fashion trend of "athleisure" is popular and evident in our culture today, and while many people may argue that women should not wear yoga pants outside of their yoga class (a topic of discussion for another day), what I wear to the gym should not be one of your concerns… especially if you're a male.

Yes, I am one of those girls who spend $98 on a pair of leggings and $12 on a headband. Does this make me a bad person? No. Should you care that I wear expensive items to work out? Absolutely not. And in no way should someone ever think that a person's fitness abilities are based on what they wear to the gym.

I get it. Brands like Lululemon are very expensive, especially when considering a college student's budget; however, these high-end luxury athleisure companies do sell high-quality products that fit well and flatter almost all body types. They are designed for the purpose of moving, so why is it that people are judged for wearing this type of clothing to the gym? If I am comfortable and feel that I am able to perform my best wearing such clothes, then your opinion of these brands should be kept to yourself.

It wasn't until an early morning cycle class at my college's gym that I realized that what I (like many other girls!) was wearing was of a concern to other people. It wasn't because my shorts were too short, or my top was too low, but rather because of the brand I wore. I was waiting outside of the cycle studio for the class to begin when I overheard a group of girls and one boy talking. What caught my attention was when I heard the boy say, "She was hearing head-to-toe Lululemon, so she clearly didn't know what she was doing at the gym."

My jaw dropped.

To my surprise, the girls around him laughed. One even added, "She was probably just there to take a picture of herself and leave." I could not believe what I was hearing! To make matters worse, I looked down and realized I was dressed head-to-toe in Lulu, from the headband to the tank top, to the jacket, to the leggings. I felt angry and almost insecure to be there. Were people really judging me as a person and athlete based on what I wore to the gym?

I was speechless. At home, it was normal to see women wearing almost all Lululemon or similar brands to the gym. I usually found myself being the outsider when I would wear my oversized frat tanks to work out, but clearly, the roles were reversed at school. I could not believe that people were actually taking the time to analyze people's outfits and where they came from, and then use that information to reflect on that person's abilities.

Especially as women, we are supposed to empower and support each other, not tear each other down. If someone, male or female, has made the time and effort to go to the gym and better him or herself, then what they are wearing should not be your focus. Me choosing to wear expensive name-brand apparel is no different than you choosing to wear an XXL T-shirt and sweatpants. No one, regardless of gender, should be judged based on their outfit at the gym.

So next time you're at the gym, rather than criticize what other people are doing or wearing, focus on bettering yourself and your own workout, because I'm sure that girl dressed in head-to-toe Lululemon knows exactly what she's doing.