It's A New Semester, A New You, And It's Time To Get Involved At UNC

As this new semester rolls around, consider reaching out around campus and getting involved with some of our amazing organizations!

63
Bridget MacPherson

Calling all UNC students!! It is Spring semester, and let me tell you, this is a great time to put yourself out there and get involved with some student organizations! Whether you are a first-year or a senior, organizations are looking for new members, and who's to say that can't be you?

Extra-curricular activities are such a great way to make friends, discover your passions, and boost your resume! Whether you are interested in sports and healthy living or playing smash with your homies, there is surely an organization for you.

For UNC students specifically, there are a few ways to research student-led organizations on campus.

First, heellife.unc.edu is basically an index of all of the organizations on campus. You can search by category in order to find an organization that suits your interests. Normally, the president and/or treasurer of the organization is listed with an email so you can contact them about potentially joining!

Another great way to find an organization here at UNC is by searching on Facebook. You can either post in your class page about organizations concerning your field of interest, or you can simply search for specific organizations' pages and message them about enrollment!

Finally, since it is the beginning of a new semester, there will definitely be plenty of students pubbing their organizations in the pit. Make sure to stop by and see who is advertising interest meetings!!

If you are unsure about joining a student organization, or maybe feel like there isn't a group that meets your needs, I have two suggestions.

1. Joining a student group that was out of my comfort zone was truthfully the best decision I have made in college so far. Joining Chapel Hill Players (CHiPs, pictured above) was something I never would have imagined doing, but I am so so glad I did. Improv has drawn me out of my shell so much and I have made the most incredible friends in this organization.

2. If you find that there isn't an organization at UNC that is right for you, create your own! Founding a new organization is not only a great way to boost your resume, but it allows you to create a group that fits all of your and likely many others' needs!

I wholeheartedly encourage all college students to step out of their comfort zones and join student organizations one way or another, and I especially hope UNC students follow some of these tips to find a new community of friends!!