5 Tips On How To Ace Your Dream Job Interview
Life Stages

Top 5 Tips To Ensure You Land The Job Of Your Dreams

Tips and tricks that you have to follow to get the job you want. Or any job at all, honestly.

37
Man in a suit carrying a brief case

One thing I learned being a business major is that there are certain tips and tricks that you have to follow to get the job you want. Or any job at all, honestly. There are certain ways you have to act towards the recruiters and employees in order to impress them. The way you dress, the way you shake your hand, everything is taken into account when first approaching a company's recruiters. Here are some essential tips that you can follow to increase your chances of getting the job of your dreams!

1. The way you dress might be the most important thing

Dress simple. Men should wear a black or navy suit, light colored shirt, a simple tie, and matching shoes and belt. Women should wear black dress pants with a black blazer and a light colored blouse with black/nude flats or heels. Dressing simple and business professional is really important because that way the recruiter of the company is able to pay attention to what you are saying rather than what you are wearing.

2. Have a firm handshake and make eye contact

This is also very important. These two things show your level of confidence which is a very sought after quality in a potential hire. Your handshake should be firm: not too strong and not too flimsy. You should always make eye contact but not stare them down the entire time. The rule is that you should make eye contact for 30 seconds then look away for a second and make eye contact again.

3. Short and sweet elevator pitch

This is your time to shine. In your elevator pitch, you should introduce yourself in a concise and important way. Say your name, your year, your major or area of study, and something that highlights your skills. Your elevator pitch should be concise, around 30-45 seconds in which you can say all that you can.

4. Give them your resume

You should always give your resume to the recruiter, or at least sell yourself in a way that makes them want your resume. This way, they are able to review your resume and remember your face when they go back to it. If they can match a face or personality to a resume, it makes the whole interaction more intimate and the chances of you getting the job are higher. This is because HR people go through 200+ resumes and them remembering you makes it easier for you to get hired.

5. Email HR or the recruiter, thanking them, and apply online

You should always try to contact the HR or recruiter a couple days after talking to them to thank them for their time and to make yourself known to them. By doing this, you put yourself out there compared to all the other people that talked to them at a career fair or anything. Also, make sure to apply online in order to increase your chances. Just to be safe.

As mentioned multiple times, your main goal should be to stand out. Not through your outfit, but rather in what you say or in depicting who you are. And this will increase your chances by getting the job you want, and you will get to land the job of your dreams for sure.