No Matter What Is On The George Floyd Body Cam Footage, He Didn't Deserve To Die
Currently

I don't know who needs to hear this, but the police aren't supposed to kill people, period.

281

George Floyd died on May 25 after being arrested for allegedly using a counterfeit $20 bill. Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes as Floyd cried out that he couldn't breathe. The killing sparked worldwide protests against police brutality and in support of Black Lives Matter.

A few days ago, bodycam footage showing the arrest and death became public. Some people have since changed their initial opinions on whether George Floyd's death was wrongful because he appeared to resist arrest and was suspected to be on drugs.

I haven't watched the footage because I refuse to watch a man beg for his life only to be killed anyway, but I know that no matter what is on that footage, George Floyd didn't deserve to die. He should still be alive today.

Resisting arrest should not be a death sentence.

Being jittery and having an anxiety attack should not be a death sentence.

Possibly being on drugs should not be a death sentence.

But in the case of George Floyd, all of these things sentenced him to death over an allegedly fake $20 bill.

Even if George Floyd was resisting arrest, Chauvin had no reason to kneel on his neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds. There is no excuse, and if resistance somehow changes your mind about whether George Floyd deserved to die or not, I need you to know that the police aren't supposed to kill people. Period. The police are not supposed to kill the people they arrest, whether they're guilty or innocent, high or sober, resisting or giving in.

George Floyd didn't deserve to die, and if you can't see that, you need to seriously consider why you are so accepting of violence and murder yet so intolerant of Black lives.