Generic Tips for Incoming Freshmen

Generic Tips for Incoming Freshmen

If you're new to college, you might read articles like this one.

5
Generic Tips for Incoming Freshmen
www.pexels.com

At this point, the advice being thrown at your face is probably gobbly-gook. Everyone has something to say on this issue, but few things you read will actually help you survive freshmen year.

It's like taking the SATs. It's supposed to make you smarter, and better prepared for school, but does it really?

On a very generic level, freshmen are new to the game, sophomores think they got the game down, juniors get slowly pummeled by the game, and seniors have almost stopped playing.

Don't blindly accept college will be the way people describe it to you. We all perceive and experience the world in a different way, and as such will have different experiences. Just try to sculpt the basics of what is important, and go from there.

You're going to learn things for yourself. There's just no way around that. Experience makes you wise, it makes you cynical, it makes you smart.

Don't act like a know-it-all. Chances are, you don't, and everyone will see through your facade. Being humble goes a long way, but it's a hard skill to learn.

Store any bit or practical knowledge you come across, and test it in the field. You hear the Papa Gino's is a really good restaurant in town? Go there and find out for yourself. You will build off of this knowledge.

Don't be afraid to be challenged. It will happen to you, whether you like it or not, and you can handle it one of two ways; you can lash out or you can arise to the challenge.

If somebody criticizes something that you do, or challenges a belief you have, you can ignore it, or you can take what they say on the head and use it to improve yourself and your ideas.

You're going to be broken down at some point. You're going to need support. So will your friends. Try to surround yourself with people who genuinely care about you, and who you care about.

College isn't this happy-go-lucky place where everyone is magically a family and friendship is forever. When you think someone is promising you something outrageous, it probably is.

That being said, it's also not hell. That's what retail is.

College is a "safe" environment where you can test your ability to survive in the real world. You'll have good moments, you'll have surreal moments, you'll have moments where you feel your life is on fire, you'll have moments when you feel like a million bucks.

If you get anything from these fluffy advice articles, it's this:

1. Don't be a dick.

and

2. Do your school work.

It's really that easy.

You can challenge others. In fact, I encourage you to hold others to the mark, aim criticism at those that deserve it, but make sure you're actually in the right, and be sure to hold yourself to a high standard. No one likes a dick. If you want to be rude, go on Yik Yak.

I'm really surprised that a lot of these articles don't focus on school work. It's the one thing, other than money, keeping you in school.

I've had so many awesome, fun-to-be-around friends drop out of school because they just didn't take their work seriously.

There isn't just a social aspect to school. Never forget why you're actually here: to learn. Have fun, make friends, live an enjoyable life, but never lose sight of that bottom line.