Break Before College Is Important

A Gap Year Should Be Required After High School Graduation

Finding yourself should be a top priority.

121
https://pixabay.com/en/sea-summer-water-beach-nature-3337790/

I remember as early as middle school hearing about college and how everything I was working on from that point forward was to ensure my future was taken care. I was always worried I wasn't doing well enough while I was in high school because I wanted to make sure I got into multiple colleges so that I had options. Throughout high school, everyone talked about the college they dreamt of going to and which they planned on sending applications to. It was something we all talked about from day one until the final semester.

I kid you not, at least at my school, when anyone mentioned the idea of taking a year off before pursuing a degree, people thought they were joking. It would have been the gossip for the week. It was insane. But I wish I had been that insane.

I think for high school students approaching graduation, it's always pushed on them that college is the next step and really the only thing they should be working toward. While I do believe college is important, I think it's important to encourage and be open to the idea of a break between high school and college. The problem is that many people push the idea that college is the next and only step.

The break would give the recent graduate time to figure out what they would like to continue their education in and most importantly, figure out who they really are as a person. They don't have something defining them like they did while in high school. They were an athlete for all four years? Unless they got a scholarship for sports somewhere that doesn't really matter anymore. They were part of an organization? Most of the time really doesn't matter outside the walls of their school.

It's tough to really know who you are when you have different activities or people deciding who you are. I'm in my final year of college and I still feel like I'm not 100 percent sure about who I am, but I definitely know more than I did my first year in college.

The conversation about college needs to shift to give all paths enough respect so people can be confident in whatever they choose. It shouldn't be frowned upon if someone decides to wait before they go to college. I wish the idea of a break can be encouraged. I believe it would help people eliminate anxiety over their life decisions and it would help the confidence people have in their education.

I can't go back in time. But at least I know that society can't dictate my actions and only I can. And I will know for the future.