Gamma Phi Takes Seattle

Gamma Phi Takes Seattle

8
Gamma Phi Takes Seattle

Gamma Phis from all over gathered in Seattle for a weekend in July for the 76th biannual convention. Executive boards, alumni, and other collegians visited the Space Needle, Pike’s Place Market, and formed closer bonds with new and old sisters.

Sisters learned more about themselves and ways to better their chapters. 

Gamma Phis from all over gathered in Seattle for a weekend in July for the 76th biannual convention. Executive boards, alumni, and other collegians visited the Space Needle, Pike’s Place Market, and formed closer bonds with new and old sisters. The Gamma Phi Beta Convention takes place every two years and in a different city each time.              

Though the location always changes, some traditions will forever remain the same. Convention begins with a flag procession where every chapters’ delegates parade through the main area with their flags. Another day there is an awards ceremony where Gamma Phis are given awards for their outstanding achievement. This year, my chapter won the Safety and Wellness Excellence Award and received a few other honorable mentions and achievement awards. Our current Safety and Wellness Chair, Erin Bode, was very proud to have played a role in Beta Rho’s achievements. She enjoyed herself thoroughly in Seattle and said, “Convention was also a wonderful opportunity to be able to take a look into the future. I was able to see that being in Gamma Phi isn’t just something that is a four year experience, but it really is a lifetime of sisterhood.”             

Bode was especially inspired by one woman in particular who was attending her 23rd Gamma Phi Convention. The fact that someone would keep coming back, years after graduation shows how dedicated some women are to their sisters. This woman proved to Bode and the rest of the convention attendees that sisters are truly for life.            

Half the fun of convention is getting the opportunity to meet dedicated sisters, but everyone looks forward to the Conventioneers’ Dinner. All the women arrive in their nice dresses and heels, but with a twist: Everyone wears ridiculous hats. They can be decorated in any way the woman chooses, and as it is to be expected with a bunch of sorority girls, there’s lots of creativity. Some women choose to add tiaras, while others use sparkles and feathers. There are often stuffed animals and flowers adorning the women’s heads, and the room is always filled with giggles. Bode said, “There was laughter, lots of laughter, during the Conventioneers’ Dinner as we compared our silly hats and danced along with fellow collegians and alumnae.”              

The women in attendance enjoyed sightseeing, traditions, and various seminars to help them improve their chapters this year. Convention is all about bringing Gamma Phis closer to one another and finding ways to inspire women to make a difference. While our executive board had a great time at convention, they also learned a lot about themselves and what they can bring to our chapter to help us grow this year and many more to come.