games for gamers

10 High-Quality Games You Can Download In The App Store

Shocking, I know.

131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURVxvIZrmU

Do you consider yourself a gamer, but strictly within the confines of the App Store? Well, then you aren't a gamer! Hah, just kidding. The love of video games is not something a certain group of people can monopolize. But if you are a so-called App Store gamer, you know how difficult it is to find high-quality games on there. I've tried my best to make the search easier by compiling a list of my favorite games that you can download via the App Store. Hope this helps! Have fun!

1. "Life Is Strange"

This is what is called an interactive narrative (the BEST genre of games, in my opinion). You get to freely explore the world and make decisions that impact the storyline. Plus, there are little side objectives involving a Polaroid Camera. This is definitely an artistic game meant for those with hipster's hearts. It's a lot of fun and is teeming with hidden easter eggs and has one of the best video game plots literally EVER (involving murder, kidnapping, and the supernatural).

Cost: $8.99 (Try it free)

2. "Sim City Build It"

No plot, no central goal, no official ending. You could probably play this game forever. And it's free. Yes, there are adds, but it's not like you HAVE to watch them. However, if you do decide to watch them, you get prizes. Not only are you able to build a utopia with this app, but you can also join a league and initiate wars and catastrophes onto other cities. Plus, there has recently been a great new update with which you can build multiple cities on multiple plots of land.

Cost: FREE

3. "Playdead's Inside"

In this game, you somehow infiltrate an army base off limits to civilians. It seems like a normal survival game as you dodge bullets and K9 units, but suddenly things get… weird. It seems that someone has been indulging in human experimentation! The graphics of this game are simple and work very well with the tone of the story. It is dark, spooky, and quite unsettling. If I had to pick a genre for this game, it would be a psychological thriller.

Cost: $6.99 (Try for free)

4. "Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition"

Yes, this game is basically an anime soap-opera featuring an unbeatable protagonist, but it is so full of imagination and insane world building that I had to mention it. So many adorable creatures. Plus, the entire plot gives you all the feels. You play as Noctis, the next king and "chosen one" of this world. He is accompanied by his friends who are also pretty much unbeatable. Except for one very sad occasion. I mean, it can't always be sunshine and rainbows, can it?

Cost: $19.99 (Try for free)

5. "The Sims Mobile"

This is the best mobile sims game EA has put out yet. It's fun, fast, and holds attention. These are no cookie-cutter sims like in "The Sims FreePlay," either. Your sim can have a job, a unique house of their own, and an original style. Their body type is up to you, as well as their race and gender. No discrimination, here! There are seasonal updates that keep up with holidays and weather changes, as well. The only thing that's missing from this game is the pets!

Cost: FREE

6. "Harry Potter Hogwarts Mystery"

Warner Brothers are going to milk the "Harry Potter" Franchise for all it's worth, and gosh darn it, I'm ok with that! If you've ever wanted to experience Hogwarts for yourself, this app is the closest you're gonna get. Meet the professors, take the classes, and experience all of the magic for yourself! Get sorted, join dueling, adopt a magical pet of your own, and meet great characters all with distinct personalities. This is a very wholesome game that I can't help but enjoy, so why not give it a try?

Cost: FREE

7. "OXENFREE"

Do you believe in ghosts? Well, after you get through playing this game, you won't be sure WHAT to believe. This is another interactive narrative, so obviously it's a favorite of mine. The story is so good it gives me goosebumps. Well, the fact that it's a ghost story might also have something to do with that. The developers use a bunch of cheap iMovie static sound effects in this game, but they are implemented so ingeniously that it literally does not matter. Much like "Stranger Things," this game is kind of low budget, yet very high quality.

Cost: $4.99 (Try for free)

8. "Dreamfall Chapters"

Holy WOW, is this game good. This yet another interactive narrative (can you sense a theme here?) that I am not ashamed to admit that I am in love with. You can't download this game onto your phone, unfortunately, but you can download it on a MacBook. Yes, the price is steep for an App Store game, but boy is it worth it. It's a perfect blend of science fiction and fantasy consisting of two stories that eventually overlap. This game tackles ideas such as race, gender, sexuality, and discrimination. It even asks the question: At what point has science gone too far? "Dreamfall Chapters" is definitely a thinker and one you want to replay over and over again.

Cost: $24.99

9. "Rayman Adventures"

Hooray for platformers! Rayman is back in mobile form, and is better than ever! With a cooky cast of characters and creatures, there is not a moment you can be bored while playing this game. To add to the fun, there are adorable little creatures called 'Incrediballs' that you can collect! They help you with your adventures by attacking enemies, collecting 'lums,' or discovering hidden prizes. But make sure that you remember to feed them!

Cost: FREE

10. "Good Pizza, Great Pizza"

Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to own your own pizzeria? Of course, you have! I mean, who hasn't? In this game, you serve odd, if not pretty realistic customers who will get angry if you take too long on their order or lessen their tip if you mess up. Sometimes, people will just stop by to tell you that they don't like pizza, and walk out. Other times, people will ask for *shudder* pineapple on their pizza. The occasional cult member might even pay a visit! Yes, this game is as bizarre as it is entertaining. Yet somehow, it's also very calming completing one pizza after another.

Cost: FREE

Well, that's the list. More new games come out in the App Store every day. You just have to know what to look for in terms of design, plot, and overall quality. Don't get stuck on the likes of "Candy Crush" anymore! Try something… with pizazz.