'FYRE': The Biggest Scam Part 1

'FYRE': The Biggest Scam Part 1

Because who doesn't want to party on the beach with models and influencers? Also, SPOILER ALERT!

750
'FYRE': The Biggest Scam Part 1
https://unsplash.com/photos/YyCIztYO3O0

This Spring Break I decided to go home and relax. From LA to Mexico, it's about a 4 hour plane ride and I spent half of it just asleep. For the other two, I decided to watch the FYRE documentary on Netflix. And wow. It was very interesting.

So for those unaware of this scandal (I didn't know about this until the documentary came out), it's basically about this young entrepreneur named Billy McFarland, who went to the Bahamas, found a deserted island, bought it and then decided that he should have a 'luxury music festival' with condos and villas filled with models and influencers.

I honestly think it's not a terrible idea. I mean, who wouldn't want to rave and hang out with a bunch of good looking celebrities and with good music at the beach? Quite an interesting selling point, I think.

Here's the catch though: Billy basically had no idea what he was doing. He just tried to be positive throughout and was just extremely ambitious. I mean, (assuming that you've already seen it) Billy bought this so called 'Pablo Escobar' island that had nothing, I mean zero infrastructure on it and just began shooting their promo video. Sexy models and fun times were basically the theme of the video and they even said in the documentary, "It was more like a party than a promo video."

Let's hold up here. From just a planning perspective, what the hell. Do you ever tell your friends and your friends' friends about a party you're throwing in a couple hours before when you haven't even found a venue for them to party in? Yeah, as crazy as that sounds, that's what Billy and the crew were doing. They shot the video, they promised influencers free housing and got them to post that orange square. Now from a marketing perspective, the fact that they sold out on their tickets because of that one orange square is amazing.

And now, time for mayhem! Nothing was established; there weren't even toilets constructed for use.

I think at this point of the documentary, I just prepared myself to watch just pure chaos unleash. There were two sides of this: one being the guests' side (they had no place to stay and there was no music) and the other being the stressful situation by the founders. They were so broke and out of time that Billy even asked one member to go perform oral sex just for clean water. Just for clean water? WHAT? My jaw was literally on the floor. From all the levels of fucked up, that was quite fucked up.

I have so much more to say and that will come next week with a part 2.