FYI, Your Professors Hate That.

FYI, Your Professors Hate That.

Stop Texting In Class!

60
FYI, Your Professors Hate That.
asu.edu

At the beginning of my Psycholinguistics lecture, I watch as it takes my professor three minutes after class has started to get my classmates to stop chattering, and focus on him. FYI, your professor hates that.

Throughout class I notice a number of things that I know are annoying my professor. One is the girl sitting two rows in front of me, who keeps falling asleep. Even though the lecture is really not all that boring, Droopy McSleepyBritches cannot seem to keep her eyes open. I just want to remind Droopy that there are four different coffee shops within a two-minute walk of our lecture hall. Note to all the Droopy’s out there: It is our job to get a good night’s sleep before class, and if we cannot manage that, learn how to obtain the sweet dopamine suppressing magic that is coffee.

The second thing that sets me on edge is Clackity, the classroom’s famous laptop user, sitting five seats down from me, click, click, clicking on her keypad during the lecture. Sure, I understand that everyone studies in different ways, and, for some people, a laptop truly is the best way to take notes. But, I really don’t think the best way for Clackity to study is via her facebook, email, twitter, and other social media that Clackity is fond of observing during class time.

The third thing that gets to me are the Texters, who are so numerous it is embarrassing. They hide their phones under their desks, behind their laptops, or beside their books, and they go on pretending their professors are either very stupid or blind. There is nothing about texting during class that helps a person learn, trust me.

The final thing that happens that pushes me over the edge is when people actually start talking over the professor. Not only is this preventing them from hearing the professor, but it is distracting to me, and insulting to our professor. Yet, they continued their twittering until the end of class, when everyone began packing their backpacks before the professor was finished speaking. FYI, your professors hate that.

Okay, so, I will admit that I have learned what not to do in class the hard way. Your grades reflect how much you prepare for and focus during class. I assure you, it is in your best interests if you take my advice. Also, the lack of respect for our professors is frankly just rude and ungrateful. Professors do not work so hard for their doctorate, and spent ages looking for a job that will pay of their student loans, just to have you roll your eyes, and not recognize how much wisdom they can provide you. Our professors are willing to give us the tools to make us better people. It is about time we stop doing these disrespectful things and pay attention in class. Stop sleeping, checking social media, texting, talking, and packing your bag during class time. Not only are you hurting your own chances of making good grades, but also, your professors hate that.