Future Scientific Breakthroughs

Future Scientific Breakthroughs

What to look forward to in science.

151
Future Scientific Breakthroughs

When we were kids, we had Bill Nye the Science Guy to teach us all about science and how the world works. Now, if we want to know about new scientific inventions or theories, we can still rely on Bill Nye through his Twitter account, but, otherwise, we're on our own. However, I think it's important that we know about upcoming breakthroughs in the scientific community. As we grow in our technological advances, continue to explore space, and learn more about the human body, new things will continue to crop up that will forever change the existence of the human race. Here's just a few of the things that we should expect from science in the near future.

1. Human Head Transplant

My reaction was very similar to what yours probably is—what? When discussing the idea of a human head transplant, I can't help but think that it's all very Frankenstein's Monster. However, this is a very real scientific endeavor coming up in the near future. Even though previous attempts on mice have not been completely successful, we know that such a breakthrough is possible. In fact, there's even a volunteer on standby for the procedure, set to happen in 2017. Valery Spiridonov, a 30-year-old Russian man, has Werdnig-Hoffman disease. Werdnig-Hoffman causes the loss of motor neurons, making it impossible to stand, walk, and even, sometimes, sit without help.

Although the procedure is still a ways off, both in time and in scientific ability, make sure to keep an eye out for this modern day Frankenstein experiment.

2. A Cure for the Paralyzed

While we're discussing medical science, a cure for people who are unable to move may loom on the horizon. Only a few days ago, scientists discovered that they could recover a patient's ability to walk merely through the patient's mind. The 26-year-old man had suffered a spinal cord injury and had no function in his legs but, after spending time learning to control a virtual avatar and rebuilding the muscles in his legs with electric stimulation and weights, he was able to begin walking without the help of any machinery. Of course, this situation may be unique. Such a treatment may not work on everyone, but it does bring us one step closer to the possibility of a universal cure.

Learn more: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/no-e...

3. Mission to Europa

Whether you believe in little green Martians, single-celled organisms, or you're not entirely sure if you believe at all, most everyone thinks about the possibility of life outside Earth. Unfortunately, all off the Earth-like planets in our universe are several light-years away, the closest being about 11.9 light-years. However, what if there was life as close as our own solar system?

Luckily for us, there has been considerable research done in regards to the possibility of life on Jupiter's moon, Europa. Europa, which is covered in a thick layer of ice, holds the best chance of finding liquid water in our solar system. As the moon orbits Jupiter, there is a possibility that the giant planet is allowing Europa to stretch and compress, heating up the moon's core enough to melt the lower layers of ice. And, as we're all told through middle school, water is the foundation of life. So make sure to keep an eye out for a future mission to Europa, set to launch sometime in the 2020s.

4. Mission to Mars

For years, there haves been questions about whether there was ever any life on mars and if it was ever even possible. Well, get ready, because NASA already has a slew of candidates picked out for a manned mission to the red planet. However, because Mars and Earth are not always aligned as the moon and Earth are, the manned Mars mission will be quite a bit more complicated than the first mission to the moon. The plan has a launch from Earth date of Jan. 26, 2030 with a reentry into Earth's atmosphere on Aug. 31, 2031. These astronauts will not only be the first people on the surface of Mars, they will also be the first to have a close-up view of Venus.

Learn more about NASA's mission to Mars here: https://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars

Whether you're interested in the human body, medicine, or life outside of Earth, be sure to keep an eye out for scientific advances in the future. As we grow and learn, undoubtedly our scientific knowledge will also grow.