From Teen Heartthrobs To Old Time Serial Killers

You gotta admit though, the similarities are kind of uncanny.

240
My Friend Dahmer / Ibid Filmworks

What do Zac Efron and Ross Lynch have in common? Well, they both started off their careers with Disney. Zac Efron is well known for his role as Troy Bolton in the "High School Musical" series before he ventured off into more mature roles. His latest film being Baywatch, an action comedy film adaptation of the television series of the same name, with actors Dwayne Johnson and Priyanka Chopra, to name a few. And Ross Lynch is most famous for his role as Austin Moon in "Austin & Ally" before he ventured off into the role of Brady in the "Teen Beach Movie" series. He is also part of R5 which is a band made up of him and his four other siblings.

Now, what do Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy have in common? You mean, besides both of them being notorious serial killers who kidnapped and raped their victims before eating or performing sexual activities on them, respectively? Well, maybe the fact the two heartthrobs mentioned previously are playing the roles of these serial killers in their next films.

Yes, I'm serious. It was hard for me to believe at first too. I mean, these are a pair of cuties who sing catchy songs and make us swoon with their awesome dance moves, will they be able to pull off being socially awkward, distant, cold and ruthless human beings?

Well, here's a side by side of Ross Lynch and Jeffrey Dahmer (besides the one shown in the header of this article:

Here's one that gets even "closer" — it's crazy how similar those two look there.

And now here's a side by side of Zac Efron with Ted Bundy:

They're ehh — I wouldn't say that the two look exactly alike, but I'm sure once the movie starts rolling, they'll be able to get Zac from looking like the pretty boy next door to the sick psycho that wants to drag you into a dark alley and have his way with you.

He's got the condescending smirk down though:

According to Wikipedia, Bundy was regarded by many of his young female victims as handsome and charismatic, traits that he exploited to win their trust, which proves that Zac would be a good fit for this role as he is also just as handsome and charismatic.

Ross Lynch has already completed his film, "My Friend Dahmer," which was based on the graphic novel of the same name created by John Backderf or simply 'Derf' as he often goes by. Derf was actually a classmate and an old friend of Dahmer; they went through high school together. I was doing a mock Film Festival project for my online English class with the theme of teens against society and basically how the pressures of society can cause teenagers to rebel or revolt in a way that can be harmful to them, their peers, their parents, and the rest of society as a whole, when I stumbled upon this particular film, which was a prime example of what I was trying to show in the festival. Anyway, when Derf found out about Dahmer's arrest, he decided to create a comic book based on Dahmer and the type of person he was as a young teen.

The movie, like the comic, chronicles Dahmer's adolescence and goes into detail of Dahmer's social life, quirks, weird habits, and interests before leading up to his very first murder. The film has done well and has even been featured at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Zac's movie, however, was just recently revealed. "Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile" — a fitting title — will be directed by Joe Berlinger and is going to be told from the point of view of Bundy’s girlfriend Elizabeth Kloepfer. There is no release date set for the film yet, but I'm sure we'll all be keeping our eyes open for one soon.

Though both Dahmer and Bundy have been long dead, and they won't be able to judge whether Ross Lynch and Zac Efron do a good job of reprising their roles, I'm sure they've both done an exceptional job. As the case usually goes, after a few years of being famous Disney stars, actors and actresses try to venture out and leave behind their Disney days by performing in some drastically different roles. Both Lynch and Efron have been trying to do the same and now whether their films succeed or fail, they will have definitely proven that they are capable of more than just singing and dancing.