From A Gay, Hispanic Woman
Politics

From A Gay, Hispanic Woman

An open letter to the nation that failed me.

15
From A Gay, Hispanic Woman
The Critique

I can’t believe it. All of this work and this hope that my fellow Americans and I have put into our country has all come down to this. A Trump Presidency. I thought; I had the hope that, this wouldn’t happen. I remember thinking to myself, “there is no way that my country would let a man like that get elected as President.” I guess I was wrong. I guess I put too much faith into my country. To think that so many of us were so against a woman becoming President that they decided that the better choice was the sexist, homophobic, racist, billionaire. I mean, are you serious America? Has it really come to this? Are you so small minded that you are willing to participate in the monstrosity that is letting Trump become Commander in Chief?

I waited for hours for the results to come in. I prayed, I cried, I sat as an agonizing numbness began to spread throughout my entire body as I realized where we were heading. And I guess, I shouldn’t have been surprised. This election has brought out so much hate and negativity, I never thought that a country that was supposedly “modern” would voluntarily put itself fifty years back. I am so...heartbroken. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this kind of despair. This, overwhelming sadness. This disappointment in a country that I had so much faith in.

A friend of mine who lives in a dorm told me that she could hear the freshmen crying. They were sobbing for what they had lost. She could hear those trying to comfort their roommates and fellow students, all while they themselves had tears streaming down their faces. This, this is not how I imagined it would be. I went out and I voted and I thought that what I did would make a difference. That my voice would be heard. But I was silenced by those who thought I deserve to have my rights taken away. Tell me, my fellow students who voted for Trump, how are you going to look your female friends in the face? How are you going to look at your gay friends, your Hispanic friends, your Muslim friends? How are you going to explain to them why you thought, think, that they do not deserve to have basic human rights? That they do not deserve to have a voice. Tell me, how will you explain yourself? How are you going to convince your terrified peers that what you did was the right thing to do?

It’s three am on a Wednesday morning and I am tired. So tired. Of fighting for a voice, of fighting for my right to be treated like a human being. I am so...exhausted, but the outcome of this election has taught me one thing. The world doesn’t care if you’re tired. It doesn’t care if you’re anxious or scared. It doesn’t care that you don’t see any point in fighting anymore. It only cares that you keep fighting. We must keep fighting. Despite what others may think, this is not the end. We have four long years to prepare ourselves. To strengthen our ranks. To show the world that we are meant to, deserve to be heard. So tell me, Mr. Trump, are you ready to confront the America that you have helped create? Or will you cower in the White House as the masses begin to turn against you? As they begin to realize the mistake they have made. Mr.Trump, you may not be ready, but I promise you one thing. We will be.