Frizzy Hair

Frizzy Hair

Life is not perfect, but that is what makes it beautiful.

24
Frizzy Hair
Thought Catalog

I have always had frizzy hair. For as long as I can remember, I have stood in my mirror every morning and said to myself “Ugh, why is my hair so frizzy.” I have always been average at school. For most of elementary, middle, and High School, I made A’s and B’s and yes, even an occasional C. When I came to college, that became no different. I remember thinking most of my life, “I wish I was better in school.” I stand in my closet full of clothes before every event I have to go to, and think to myself, “I have nothing to wear.”

I compare my hair, my grades, and my closet to other people. “I wish I had his brain, I wish I had her hair, or her closet. Now, I sit here typing all of that out. I read it back to myself and think “This is all so silly.” And yet, tomorrow, when I wake up I will look in the mirror and say “Ugh, why is my hair so frizzy.”

This is dangerous. Destructive, even. You see, I am comparing my life away. I am so wrapped up in what I don’t have I am missing all that I do. You see, I may never have the brains to go to Harvard, hair soft and beautiful enough to be in a Pantene commercial, or a wardrobe that would make Kylie Jenner jealous. But I have the small stuff, and I’ve learned that is the big stuff.

I have roommates that let me use their coffee creamer when I’m out. I have a computer that I can binge watch Netflix for hours on end. I have parents who almost annoy me with how much they love to facetime. (Almost, I love your calls, Mom and Dad). I have grandparents who are learning to text, just so they can talk to me more. I have friends who bake me cookies when they think I’m sad and want to dance around the kitchen to our favorite songs. I have sat on my bedroom floor with tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at a good joke. I get to sing out loud in the shower, and I've had really good homemade pizza.

Life is not perfect. But that is what makes life so beautiful.